Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi uppers/one lower

Feedback Score

Multi uppers/one lower

I have a Colt 6920 with the stock 16.1" barrel. I am considering buying other barrels/upper assy. I want a a SBR barrel and a target barrel to use on the 6920 lower. Would it be smart to reg. the lower as a SBR then you can mount any upper assembly you want or is it more complicated than that? Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Stan

USN Ret.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    If you want to use that lower with a barrel that's shorter than 16" you have to SBR it. There is no other way to do it legally (except for making it a machine gun with a DIAS).
    Last edited by gkanga; 03-20-09 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been thinking about registering my lower anyway just so that later on I can buy any length upper I want and drop it on the day it arrives in the mail...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner_5 View Post
    I've been thinking about registering my lower anyway just so that later on I can buy any length upper I want and drop it on the day it arrives in the mail...
    The Form 1 will require that you specify the barrel length (item 4e). If you want to run other SBR barrel(s), you can write a letter to the NFA and declare any additional barrels (less than 16").

I had to do the same on a Colt SMG. There is a 10 1/2" barrel on the Form 4 and I added a 7 1/2" barrel. A letter and a copy of the original approved Form 4 is all that was necessary.

Feedback Score
    Thats what i want to do, have an SBRd lower for both a 14.5" upper and a 10.5 inch upper as well.

After I either add a can for my Pistol or SBS a shotgun that is, now wheres that armored truck thats supposed to tip over in my front yard...
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6450 View Post
    The Form 1 will require that you specify the barrel length (item 4e). If you want to run other SBR barrel(s), you can write a letter to the NFA and declare any additional barrels (less than 16").

I had to do the same on a Colt SMG. There is a 10 1/2" barrel on the Form 4 and I added a 7 1/2" barrel. A letter and a copy of the original approved Form 4 is all that was necessary.
    It was my understanding you put the shortest you would want to go, then if you go longer, its okay...I'd fill in that I want a 7.5" barrel, then I could basically put any length I want on it...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok, so I've got a 16" upper right now, and I get it that if I SBR the lower with a 10.5" that I'll have to notify them if I buy a 3rd upper in a different length, but what about if I were to buy another lower? They'll already know that I have the SBR's, and most likely that I'd bought a new AR thru the background check... so is this a recipe for a "Check visit" and a "Constructive Intent" problem?
    Thanks in advance.

**Edit** For the record, I wouldn't plan on mounting the SBR's on the new lower of course, just want to have a couple of ready to go lowers and uppers available for classes and such.
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 05-14-09 at 12:49.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Ok, so I've got a 16" upper right now, and I get it that if I SBR the lower with a 10.5" that I'll have to notify them if I buy a 3rd upper in a different length, but what about if I were to buy another lower? They'll already know that I have the SBR's, and most likely that I'd bought a new AR thru the background check... so is this a recipe for a "Check visit" and a "Constructive Intent" problem?
    Thanks in advance.

**Edit** For the record, I wouldn't plan on mounting the SBR's on the new lower of course, just want to have a couple of ready to go lowers and uppers available for classes and such.
    No problem as long as you retain the SBR. You already have legal possession.

If my M16 has multiple barrels and trigger assembly parts and I buy an AR lower, it is not constructive possession as long as I retain the M16. Once I sell the M16, barrels, SMG parts will have to go or I will have a "Constructive intent" issue with the AR-15.

I have been to SMG shoots with some of these guys (BATFE-FBI). 98% of the people they "Check visit" are justified and have it coming.

By the way, they don't know you have another lower. Only if it comes to them on a Form 1 or Form 4.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6450 View Post
    No problem as long as you retain the SBR. You already have legal possession.

If my M16 has multiple barrels and trigger assembly parts and I buy an AR lower, it is not constructive possession as long as I retain the M16. Once I sell the M16, barrels, SMG parts will have to go or I will have a "Constructive intent" issue with the AR-15.
    You might want to review these ATF Tech Branch letters before being so certain about that:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba...f_letter90.txt

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba...f_letter52.txt

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    You might want to review these ATF Tech Branch letters before being so certain about that:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba...f_letter90.txt

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba...f_letter52.txt
    From the first citation:

4. Can you have several short barrel uppers (less than 16 inches)
    for the registered AR and still own semi-auto AR's?

The definition of a firearm in section 5845 of the NFA includes a
    rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
    An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches)
    barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with
    one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their
    possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a
    violation of the NFA.

That refers to having a registered auto AR and semi ARs, but I think it would apply to a SBR and standard ARs? I wish they would start with "Yes" or "No" and then a rationale, they really don't answer questions, they just cite something. It sure looks that if you have an SBR rifle, a standard AR15, and an extra <16inch upper, you have two SBR rifles in their eyes?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast