Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimp or no crimp? - .223 loads w/ SMK 77 gr

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Crimp or no crimp? - .223 loads w/ SMK 77 gr

So, I lucked out and found 1 pound of Varget and 4 of H4895. I have some more SMK 77's w/cannelure enroute. Question is, I haven't crimped in the past with these, haven't had issues. Does anyone use the Lee Factory Crimp Die? I just picked one up, mainly to have.

Reading the Lee book, test state that the inconsistancies were less with a crimp vs. no crimp.

Thoughts ?

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm loading 75 hornady's and have not seen any need to crimp yet....I can tell I have good neck tension when seating & always prefer to not crimp coming from a benchrest background.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    you like 4895 for .223?
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Precision Ammunition

If you're going for precision you should use a neck-sizing die (I'd recommend a Redding S-die with a .245 bushing).

Crimping case mouths into bullets or merely squeezing the case necks into the bullet jacket causes inconsistencies in the jacket and core -- exactly what the bullet manufacturer was trying to PREVENT if they were making match-grade projectiles.

A properly sized neck will provide enough neck tension that you will never need to worry about bullet set-back and will be consistent enough to give uniform pressures.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What kind of gun?
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This is an AR, so that neck sizing is out, well aware of that for the bolt guns.

I'll do some test, just got the crimp die. So far without crimp, I'm getting .5 to .6 with the 18" Stealth. Two different charge weights of Varget and 69/77 SMK's

I'm trying the H4895 since there's no Varget around. I called Sierra today and got the data for the 2 bullets weights.

The only other powder I've used for .223 is 748(to temp sensitive) and 4320, worked great and accurate (69 gr SMK/Oly Ultra Match)

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    If you're going for precision you should use a neck-sizing die (I'd recommend a Redding S-die with a .245 bushing).

Crimping case mouths into bullets or merely squeezing the case necks into the bullet jacket causes inconsistencies in the jacket and core -- exactly what the bullet manufacturer was trying to PREVENT if they were making match-grade projectiles.

A properly sized neck will provide enough neck tension that you will never need to worry about bullet set-back and will be consistent enough to give uniform pressures.
    This is what I have learned.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Interesting topic and lots of opinions and info here. I started loading Hornaday 55gr FMJs for my AR earlier this year and never crimped, then recently started using my Lee crimp die, setup to just barely touch the cases.

I'll have to do some accuracy testing between crimped and non crimped and see what holds out for me. I'd be interested to see what you guys discover through range testing as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't crimp and from the research I did before deciding not I didn't find any reports from actual shooters that experienced any bullet setback or other issues from not crimping.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I don't crimp and from the research I did before deciding not I didn't find any reports from actual shooters that experienced any bullet setback or other issues from not crimping.
    That's specific to each loader and his equipment. There's a ton of variables to consider. But I agree that set back is rare. I find set back rounds at the range all the time. But those rounds were factory crimped and were a weapon problem, not an ammo problem.

For bulk practice ammo, there's no downside to crimping. And the position is there on the progressive for me. So I put a light factory crimp when running regular bulk 55 gr FMJs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast