Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Synonyms for Grendel?

Feedback Score

Synonyms for Grendel?

OK, I'm confused here

Is the 6.5 PPC the same as the "Grendel"? Does Grendel have any synonyms out there?

I know there are some different 6.5mm diameter cartridges (Swedish, etc) but I'm toying with the idea of building a Grendel AR.

Feedback Score
    Rich, the 6.5 PPC has a longer neck than the 6.5 Grendel. There are no cartridges, that I'm aware of, that share the same dimensions as the 65G while being called by a different name. I suppose the closest would simply be a wildcat 6.5x39 made from Russian 7.62x39 brass without changing the case angle.

John
    "The matter is summed up for every person alive: Either submit, or live under the suzerainty of Islam, or die." — Osama bin Laden

Feedback Score
    For some reason every time I hear or see the word grendel I think of grundel lol.
    Last edited by Kimbo; 03-22-09 at 01:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I recall correctly, the 6.5 PPC was a .223 case necked up to 6.5. I remember an article on it way back in the day but I didn't hear much more on it.
    Last edited by MisterWilson; 03-22-09 at 01:18.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilson View Post
    If I recall correctly, the 6.5 PPC was a .223 case necked up to 6.5. I remember an article on it way back in the day but I didn't hear much more on it.
    The PPC family is generally a descendant of the 220 Russian which comes from the 7.62x39.

Here is interesting info on the development of the 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 PPC

http://www.65grendel.com/art001devnotes.htm
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    One synonym that comes to mind is Betamax - initially superior in some ways to VHS (6.8 SPC), but ultimately not as widely adopted in the end. VHS would later be improved upon with the S-VHS (or slower twist rates and better chambering in the case of 6.8 SPC), although in actuality this really only occurred after VHS had won the format war, whereas it is happening currently in the case of 6.8 SPC.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've heard a few people mention a .30 Grendel but I have no idea what it is. I'd imagine it's a 6.5 Grendel necked up to .30 cal.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    The PPC family is generally a descendant of the 220 Russian which comes from the 7.62x39.

Here is interesting info on the development of the 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 PPC

http://www.65grendel.com/art001devnotes.htm
    Oops, I'm thinking of the 6.5 MPC I think...
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    One synonym that comes to mind is Betamax - initially superior in some ways to VHS (6.8 SPC), but ultimately not as widely adopted in the end. VHS would later be improved upon with the S-VHS (or slower twist rates and better chambering in the case of 6.8 SPC), although in actuality this really only occurred after VHS had won the format war, whereas it is happening currently in the case of 6.8 SPC.
    Heck of a description. I hadn't thought of it like that.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think your comparison is great although I for one went with the Grendel since I am a ballistics junkie and the Grendel is an awesome medium-long range round with low recoil. When I want more I turn to my AR-10 in .308

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast