Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Synonyms for Grendel?

Feedback Score
    I believe there are several making cartridges very similar to the Grendel, just using other names to get around the trademark-
    I believe the 6.5 css that Lothar sells is a grendel but with a "match" sized neck for better accuracy.
    someone else makes the 6.5x39, maybe robinson, when in doubt ask the guy building the rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    One synonym that comes to mind is Betamax - initially superior in some ways to VHS (6.8 SPC), but ultimately not as widely adopted in the end. VHS would later be improved upon with the S-VHS (or slower twist rates and better chambering in the case of 6.8 SPC), although in actuality this really only occurred after VHS had won the format war, whereas it is happening currently in the case of 6.8 SPC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    I believe there are several making cartridges very similar to the Grendel, just using other names to get around the trademark-I believe the 6.5 css that Lothar sells is a grendel
    The LW 6.5 CSS is the name of their chambering that is chambered for the 6.5 Grendel cartridge, but it is not the name of an actual cartridge.

John
    "The matter is summed up for every person alive: Either submit, or live under the suzerainty of Islam, or die." — Osama bin Laden

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    There is a 6.5 Creedmore and if I remember correctly there is some type of 6.5mm round being developed as the 6.5 URC - Ultimate Rifle Cartridge or something like that.

Feedback Score
    The Creedmoor is a different class of cartridge. The Grendel is limited by the AR-15 mag well, which the Creedmoor can't fit into.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So was the Grendel round developed from the Creedmore? Sort of a Creedmore Kurz?

Feedback Score
    No sir. The Grendel came before the Creedmoor, and the closest thing to a parent case I can think of would be a 7.62x39. The Creedmoor is more of a necked down .308 (a lot of folks consider it a .260 done correctly).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by richl025 View Post
    OK, I'm confused here

Is the 6.5 PPC the same as the "Grendel"? Does Grendel have any synonyms out there?

I know there are some different 6.5mm diameter cartridges (Swedish, etc) but I'm toying with the idea of building a Grendel AR.
    Grendel is the name of a mythical beast from one of the earliest known written stories in English, Beowulf, originally written in the 8th century in Old English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf

There is no synonym for Grendel.

If you think about the fact that there's lots of room for development in this already fine cartridge, Grendel is entirely appropriate. It's going to be a monster in the best sense of the word.
    Last edited by fastpat; 11-06-09 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    One synonym that comes to mind is Betamax - initially superior in some ways to VHS (6.8 SPC), but ultimately not as widely adopted in the end. VHS would later be improved upon with the S-VHS (or slower twist rates and better chambering in the case of 6.8 SPC), although in actuality this really only occurred after VHS had won the format war, whereas it is happening currently in the case of 6.8 SPC.
    I think "Tortoise and the Hare" is a more apt synonym.

The relatively fat slug that is the 6.8 projectile does not have the highly enabling streamlining that the 6.5 Grendel has....this is why each iteration of the 6.8 pushes the chamber pressure higher and higher. But in the end the 6.8's lower ballistic coefficient will always drag it down much faster.

Grendel --> starts slow, ends fast.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quoting myself after finding out more this is called a .30 Gremlim. Daniel Horner (US Army AMU shooter) used this to take 1st place at the 2009 Mutligun Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I've heard a few people mention a .30 Grendel but I have no idea what it is. I'd imagine it's a 6.5 Grendel necked up to .30 cal.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast