Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire Can = $$$

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post

The M4-02 sells for approxiamtely $525.
    Jeff...Hi there from Mike in Denver. I would love an AAC M4-2000 for $525, where did you find one at that price?

The most recent example I have seen is at Rainier Arms at $950 (in stock). As of '09 they do not come with the flash hider.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1144

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    mpardun,
    I think that Jeff is referring to the M4-02 Gemtach Pirhana which is about $500-600.I forgot to mention that the local dealer's price of $1399 does include (1) SF QD flash hider.

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions and experiences. Good info.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpardun View Post
    Jeff...Hi there from Mike in Denver. I would love an AAC M4-2000 for $525, where did you find one at that price?

The most recent example I have seen is at Rainier Arms at $950 (in stock). As of '09 they do not come with the flash hider.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1144

Hi Mike,

From my post above:

b) Barrel thread system = these are suppressors that mount directly to the barrels threads. I would only use this type of can if I were going to mount it on the gun and leave it on the gun. The Gem-Tech M4-02 is a good example of a barrel thread mounting system design: (click the link) http://www.gem-tech.com/M4-02.html (click the link)

When shooting with a suppressor mounted to the gun, not only will you notice that the gun get's hotter quicker, but it also get's dirtier quicker and burns off lube quicker.

Something to consider if getting a quick detach system. One of the areas that attracts carbon build up is the mounting area of the suppressor, and on most quick detach suppressors some level of cleaning and lubrication to the mounting system are required. I had a Quick Detach system several years ago, where the quick detach system within the suppressor would lock up due to carbon build up with only a couple hundred rounds and I would have to send the suppressor back to the manufacturer to get the quick detach system back in working order.

The Surefire's mounting system is pretty durable, less likely to get stuck, and even if it does get stuck, you just loosen the locking ring, fire a couple rounds through the gun and it will loosen the can. The mounting system of the 556k was another feature that I considered when looking for a new suppressor.

If you don't NEED a Quick Detach system, you may want to consider something like a Gem-Tech M4-02 which mounts directly to the barrel threads. Mount it and leave it. No point of impact shift to worry about, etc.

The M4-02 sells for approxiamtely $525. The Surefire is approximatley $1,300 and it does not come with a mount, mounts are around $100 (depending which one you get). So that's around $1,400. The M4-02 is almost 1/3rd the price.

Sorry if I caused some confusion....I was refering to the Gem-Tech M4-02 (Piranha)

Take care and be safe

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
    Hi Mike,

From my post above:

b) Barrel thread system = these are suppressors that mount directly to the barrels threads. I would only use this type of can if I were going to mount it on the gun and leave it on the gun. The Gem-Tech M4-02 is a good example of a barrel thread mounting system design: (click the link) http://www.gem-tech.com/M4-02.html (click the link)

When shooting with a suppressor mounted to the gun, not only will you notice that the gun get's hotter quicker, but it also get's dirtier quicker and burns off lube quicker.

Something to consider if getting a quick detach system. One of the areas that attracts carbon build up is the mounting area of the suppressor, and on most quick detach suppressors some level of cleaning and lubrication to the mounting system are required. I had a Quick Detach system several years ago, where the quick detach system within the suppressor would lock up due to carbon build up with only a couple hundred rounds and I would have to send the suppressor back to the manufacturer to get the quick detach system back in working order.

The Surefire's mounting system is pretty durable, less likely to get stuck, and even if it does get stuck, you just loosen the locking ring, fire a couple rounds through the gun and it will loosen the can. The mounting system of the 556k was another feature that I considered when looking for a new suppressor.

If you don't NEED a Quick Detach system, you may want to consider something like a Gem-Tech M4-02 which mounts directly to the barrel threads. Mount it and leave it. No point of impact shift to worry about, etc.

The M4-02 sells for approxiamtely $525. The Surefire is approximatley $1,300 and it does not come with a mount, mounts are around $100 (depending which one you get). So that's around $1,400. The M4-02 is almost 1/3rd the price.

Sorry if I caused some confusion....I was refering to the Gem-Tech M4-02 (Piranha)

Take care and be safe

S/F,
    Jeff
    My bad...

Phew, thought I may be parting with another $750 I don't have!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Couple of thoughts here, leaving corporate self-esteem issues aside...

1. What IS your budget? You've said that $1400, $1600 with ATF tax, is too much. What would you be willing to spend, and does your budget include the tax and possible transfer or not? What is your total out the door budget?
    2. You say that QD isn't a big deal to you, but I bet it will be and not for the QD (quick detach) but for the FA (fast-attach). It just makes life that much easier with cans.
    3. I doubt the Ops can is an option for you as it really needs an 11.5" barrel, otherwise you have to use a cobbled up mount that makes your barrel into an 11.5". Far less than ideal, IMHO.
    4. Everyone has to decide for themselves if they feel that the ethics of the company they are buying for matches up to their own, and whether or not those ethics are going to play a role in their purchasing. There is no right answer, and everyone's situation is their own.
    5. Generally speaking, when it comes to cans (company profiles aside) I suggest people stick to Ops, Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, and Knight's. YHM, SRT and SWR are kind of "also rans" IMHO. Companies like Jet, and other little one-off type companies are to be avoided as who knows where they'll be in 5 years, or even 5 months. If they didn't have the strength of the military contracts, I'd put Ops in this group as well.
    6. Caveat, I own an Ops 15th, a Gemtech Outback II in .22LR, and a YHM 9mm Wraith QD. I have my own opinions about all of them, and others, but that's what I currently own.
    7. Think long and hard about what you're getting out of this purchase. Cans are fun, cans are "cool", but if you think it has a practical application you may be deluding yourself. You bought that SBR to be light and maneuverable, and you're going to put back all the length that you paid $200 to get rid of, plus MORE weight. yes, you get something (noise reduction) for the bargain, but that's nowhere near all it's cracked up to be.

I'll hold off making any specific suggestions until you answer #1 above. Without budget (and application, frankly) it's kind of hard to make a suggestion. The age old "what do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend?" Without that all we can offer are general parameters like Shivan and USMC03 already have.

Feedback Score
    I've been more seriously looking at the M4-02 Gemtech Pirhana, SRT Typhoon, SWR Wolverine, and the AAC Ranger 2. They are all compact and more economically priced. QD is not an issue or necessity for me. Will any of these stand up to semi-auto use over the years, and be reasonably quiet?
    If you are going to be putting 1k-2k a year on semi auto, do not hesitate to grab a Ranger (are they still making those?) or a Gemtech in a heart beat...

Those will fill that niche very well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some good advice here and it is nice not to see this turn into a fan boy thread for any one company. Only thing I can add - call Grant and shop him on a SF if you are interested - it might suprise you.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Agreed on shopping around for surefire products in general. As most already know, their markup on products is EXCEPTIONALLY higher than other companies across the board. Most dealers have room to wiggle.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Very cool Pic Grant! Looks like the whisper of the Ice Queen!

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast