Thread: Difference between High Shelf and Low Shelf lowers?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Difference between High Shelf and Low Shelf lowers?

Okay, I tried searching and didn't find anything for internal shelf, high shelf, or low shelf... I may have missed it, but what in the world is the difference between a lower with a high shelf and one with a low shelf?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    not sure of what makes there are but it is the material above the selector the RDIAS uses the lower shelve so the Auto sear is in the right place the high shelve you can not use the RDIAS unless you have the high shelve milled down to the low spec I think I am right on this but there are plenty here with way more knowledge .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    opps double post
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 03-21-09 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    by "shelf" do we mean how high on the wall in the show room, or machining?

the only differences (in-spec'ness aside, different issue in my opinion) i've found in any and all lowers by any manufacturer is finish machining- and then the "shelf" level will be in the eyes of the beholder. i've heard EA lowers are very clean, despite my disbelief- these are about as cheap as you can get. others, like colt and LMT, tend to have poorer finish machining... so money spent on the lower doesn't have anything to do with finish quality. you're paying for the rollmark, essentially. with a few exceptions- recent noveske lowers are reportedly very nicely finished, and they're definately expensive.

if you're talking about something totally different, disregard.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Warpig got it right. RDIAS issue. This is the area inside the lower pretty much below the take down pin. This area benefits those with RDIAS'. If you can afford an RDIAS, I am sure you can afford to have this area milled out if your really have a desire to use a high-shelf lower.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Okay, so it's a full auto thing then... The RDIAS lets you turn your AR to auto I take it? I thought registering new machine guns was a no go?

Feedback Score
    This link has some good info.

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

As stated in the above posts, shelf level doesn't matter unless you are planning to use a RDIAS. If you are curious and don't have two lowers to compare here is an easy way to see which one you have. Inside the lower the shelf below the takedown pin holes intersects with the safety hole at different heights. The high shelf is basically even with the top of the safety holes. The low shelf sits about 1/8" lower than the top of the safety holes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That is good info... I thought only receivers were registerable... Good to know there's options...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    That is good info... I thought only receivers were registerable... Good to know there's options...
    most RDIAS I have seen for sale still have the 13k price tag (for legal registered with the ATF).to rich for my budget

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah, full auto is on my , "Hey, I just won the lottery without playing!" wishlist... But hey, it's still a wishlist, right?