Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWA lower and the Accu-wedge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PWA lower and the Accu-wedge

I recently decided to try the accu-wedge because I have heard good things about them and they are cheap. I dropped on into my Superior Arms lower and it worked great. Instantly tighter. I then got out my M4 clone with a PWA lower, dropped in the accu-wedge, and it did not allow the upper and lower to come together far enough to allow the takedown pin to insert. Not even close. So, my question is has this happened to anyone else or is there something wrong with my PWA lower? Seems to me that the "shelf" in the lower is not to spec OR perhaps that's how PWA made all of their lowers.

Thanks, guys
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Ya it wont go

I had the same issue with my PWA commando. I have an ACCWEDGE in my issued M4 I took it out to see if it would fit in my PWA it was a no go. I guess the reciver is not milled as deep in the rear on the PWA.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Sounds like you guys have high shelf lowers.

Feedback Score
    If its the one I'm thinking about, you can trim it down to make it fit.

Feedback Score
    PWA are very high quality lowers, one of the best lowers from the 90's actually. I believe they were made by LMT at the time. While it is possible they have high shelves, I would doubt there is anything wrong with it. I don't know who told you it was something that was needed on the rifle but they are wrong; Accuwedges do nothing for the rifles mechanical accuracy and just give the user the impression the rifle is tighter, and hence more accurate. What they do work best for is separating the buyer from from 5 bucks.

Did you try the PWA lower on your upper without the wedge, mine has been tight on every upper I own. I will however measure the self height on mine and post back later tonight, because I'm sure someone will reply back that the accuwedge is vital and that the PWA lowers are out of spec.

Edit: I measured my PWA lowers... the shelf is at .501 and .500 on the other, my LMT lowers are of similar dimension. The only rifle that I own that meets the technical drawing specs (.630"), is an SGW lower that was made in the 90's by Olympic arms. So i stand corrected. Rob_S can now add high shelf to his list of reasons why LMT is not MIL spec, there are some people that are concerned about this for other reasons as well. If you want to trade your PWA lower for my SGW let me know, I wouldn't want to keep you from using your accuwedge.
    Last edited by ErikL; 03-19-09 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    I have two of the PWA lowers ,no way that thing will go in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown556 View Post
    I have two of the PWA lowers ,no way that thing will go in.
    Same with my S&W lower.

-DM-

Feedback Score
    I have an older Rock River Arms and the lower is stamped PWA. I had to cut off at least 1/2 off the lower part of the Accu-wedge to get it in. Works fine though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i read it can wear the pin holes oblong

Feedback Score
    ALso the thing about inserting something like this is it can break and jam things up causing a major FUBAR. Much better to just leave as is or if really worried get a Sundevil lower with the adjustment screw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast