• New/used M2

58 20.94%
  • new M4

124 44.77%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Benelli-M1,M2, or M4

Feedback Score

Benelli-M1,M2, or M4

I can't stand it anymore, I need 'er want a Benelli! I've wanted an M1 Super90 since HK was importing them. Now I keep handling M4s. What to do, get a used M1, a new M2 or M4? You guys that have 'em show me the light? Can I shoot cheep Wally ammo for practice with an M4?

Feedback Score
    If you can swing an M4, then ad the tube id do that

If not my vote os for the M1S90, I wanted one since I was a kid and just got one last year and I freakin' love it!
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falboy View Post
    I can't stand it anymore, I need 'er want a Benelli! I've wanted an M1 Super90 since HK was importing them. Now I keep handling M4s. What to do, get a used M1, a new M2 or M4? You guys that have 'em show me the light? Can I shoot cheep Wally ammo for practice with an M4?
    I have owned an M4. It was hands-down the most reliable firearm I have owned. Period. That being said:I got it to jam on several occasions:

Limp-wristing it with bird-shot.
    When I replaced the mag-tube with a full-length tube and kept the stock spring and tried shooting heavy loads in it. I upgraded the spring and it was fine again.

Both errors were user-induced and EXTREME circumstances. This thing ate 1-1/8 oz 1200fps target crap all day,from day 1 (some people have issues, but I didn't). Fired 3" slugs with enough accuracy that as I adjusted the sights at 50 yards I literally sawed the paper, jagged .70" wide line through it as I walked onto target.

I cannot say enough good about the M4.

I have no experience with an M2 or other shotguns other than a Winchester 1500 and 870 Wingmaster. However, if I buy another combat shotgun, it will be an M4.

Sorry, not a lot of firearms earn such a fan-boy type response from me, but I just loved the darn thing! Sold it for an AR though. I like AR's a bit more. What can I say?

Here is a video of me doing a mag-dump. 8 shots IIRC.
    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=28mppu9&s=5
    Last edited by WS6; 03-27-09 at 19:23.

Feedback Score
    What do you intend to do with it? 3-gun? Home defense? Fun/range?

In my experience, with cheap Wally world bird shot, all three models need to be fed at least 1 1/8oz loads. None of them cycle the Federal value pack 1oz 7 1/2 bird shot reliably for me. They all like the value pack 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 bird shot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falboy View Post
    M4. I shot my buddies M2 along side my M4 with heavy slug loads and the M4 kicked a lot less. That made a believer out of me.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Both of my brothers have M1 Super 90s with the tac set up (pistol grip and such). Great shotgun from what I have seen. One of them has not shot but a few rounds through his. I think he was interested in selling it. If you decide to go that route, let me know and I'll see what he wants for it.

Feedback Score
    Esskay, answer to your question would be all of the above. Blake PM sent. The thing that sucks is I'd probably have to sell my 8-shot Browning Auto5........

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No M3? I Shot one last month with 3" OO and was impressed with the gass system. It really soaks it up compared with a Saiga 12/recoil operated system.

Are the M1/2 different guns completely as far as method of operation or is the 2 and improvement of the M1.

Are the M3 and 4 the same basically, the 4 an improvement over the 3, or a 3 built to the military's spec and being called an M4.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    No M3? I Shot one last month with 3" OO and was impressed with the gass system. It really soaks it up compared with a Saiga 12/recoil operated system.

Are the M1/2 different guns completely as far as method of operation or is the 2 and improvement of the M1.

Are the M3 and 4 the same basically, the 4 an improvement over the 3, or a 3 built to the military's spec and being called an M4.
    The M1, M2 and M3 are all recoil operated much like a pistol. The barrel moves in recoil ect. The M3 is a convertable pump semi auto. The M4 is a totally different animal in that its gas operated more like an AK using dual gas pistons.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post

Some things need addressing here.

The M1 is the "original" benelli combat shotgun (and field gun, depending on options/stock/barrel, you get the idea). It uses an inertia operated system to cycle. It has a very fast cycle time, around 13 thousandths. It will kick you. It doesn't like loads under 1oz normally.

The M2 is and M1 with a different stock, magazine cap, and you lose the ability to float a shell on the carrier IIRC unless you get your dremel tool out. It also uses "Cryo chokes" which are longer, and have been cryogenically treated as the name implies.

The M3 is like the M1 except that it also has a pump-action option where the inertia system is "locked" via turning a plastic ring/lever at the end of the forearm on the stock. This has been known to break. Why they didn't make it metal I will never know, the SOB is heavy as hell already, whats another .1oz? This model does not have interchangeable choke-tubes. It is Cylinder only IIRC.

The M4 comes in two flavors, the older one, with 4 barrel ports (or 2, depending again on serial number...) and a barrel using a fixed choke, and a newer one (11707) that has 2 ports (or 4, depending on serial number) in the gas system and interchangeable choke tubes (Mobil, not the new Cryo). This is the ONLY gas-operated Benelli shotgun that I am aware of. The 4-port is for low-recoil only and will/has been proven to crack the bolt carrier when using hi-brass loads. Benelli has offered to replace these 4-port barrels under warrenty after much to-do over it I belive. A new barrel/gas assy (they are one-unit) costs $900 almost.

To the best of my knowledge, the above information is accurate and should clear some things up.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast