Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silencer...how?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Silencer...how?

I have heard a lot of hearsay on how to legally obtain, own, and use a silencer. Is there anyone who knows how to do so in Lousiana?

Do I have to buy the silencer in-state, or can I have it FFL'ed to a CIII dealer in LA?

Can I take it to shoot with it in TX, or MUST it stay in LA?

Do I have to notify ATF every time I transport it, or can I drive wherever I want to whatever range I want in LA and shoot with it?

How do I get "okayed" to own one, besides the obvious background/fingerprint? I heard someone had to "vouch" for me or sign for me or something?

Sorry, I have just been scared off by the red-tape for some time but am beginning to wonder if I might want to own one regaurdless of the red-tape. How much/waht red-tape is there.

How long does it take to go from not being able to own, to being able to own, a silencer?

I understand that each state is different, so if someone familiar with LA could post up, that would be great!

Thanks and sorry for the noob question!

*Sorry mods, this belongs in the NFA forum? Please move if you see fit.*
    Last edited by WS6; 03-28-09 at 17:09.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Can I get the paperwork done now and then buy the can whenever, or do I need to have the serial # of the can on the paperwork? Is the paperwork good for as many cans as I want, as long as I pay $200 per can/tax?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Can I get the paperwork done now and then buy the can whenever, or do I need to have the serial # of the can on the paperwork? Is the paperwork good for as many cans as I want, as long as I pay $200 per can/tax?
    Your local dealer has to have the can in hand before you start the Form 4s.... I guess they could start as soon as they know the serial but most won't until they actually have it, just in case.

You do a new Form 4 for each can. Paperwork each time. You wait for approval, each time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    Your local dealer has to have the can in hand before you start the Form 4s.... I guess they could start as soon as they know the serial but most won't until they actually have it, just in case.

You do a new Form 4 for each can. Paperwork each time. You wait for approval, each time.
    Figured. How long do form 4s usually take to come back? Are we talking weeks...or months? Also, how "local" do you mean. I don't live within 200mi of a C3 dealer.
    Last edited by WS6; 03-28-09 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Figured. How long do form 4s usually take to come back? Are we talking weeks...or months? Also, how "local" do you mean. I don't live within 200mi of a C3 dealer.
    I guess if you deal with Polite Society Inc., you won't have to leave your house

As for the time, it took me about a month two years ago. But that was when the ATF was kinder and gentler under the Bush administration. It's taking a lot longer now. We're talking about 3 months time or longer. A friend of mine has been waiting 11 weeks now.

Feedback Score
    Local as in..you can walk in and pick up your suppressors. But to buy from them they have to be with-in your state.

I sent my Form 4s off on December 17th. They were approved last week.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Local as in..you can walk in and pick up your suppressors. But to buy from them they have to be with-in your state.

I sent my Form 4s off on December 17th. They were approved last week.
    I guess I would order from Polite Society, have it sent to somewhere in LA (wherever I chose, since all are 6+ hour drive I think), have the forms mailed/faxed to me, fill them out, ect. ect. and then make a drive to pick up the can when it came in. I will see what my tax return brings.

Feedback Score
    I guess I would order from Polite Society, have it sent to somewhere in LA (wherever I chose, since all are 6+ hour drive I think), have the forms mailed/faxed to me, fill them out, ect. ect. and then make a drive to pick up the can when it came in. I will see what my tax return brings.
    Add a month. Mine came from Major Malfunction. Dealer to dealer transfers are taking about a month right now. December is when I sent my forms in. I ordered the suppressors, in stock, a month earlier.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Add a month. Mine came from Major Malfunction. Dealer to dealer transfers are taking about a month right now. December is when I sent my forms in. I ordered the suppressors, in stock, a month earlier.
    *Sigh*

If I go to all this trouble, the AAC Ranger II is what I have my eye on. Am I correct in assuming that I could then fire my AR (16") without hearing protection and the report would be no more offensive than a .22LR except I will still get a "crack" from the supersonic round unless I use something like the *deep announcer voice coming from a photo-shopped black guy* Extreme Shock *voice off* round?

ETA: What is this corporate trust fund thing I keep reading? My family owns a business. Could this be an angle to play?
    Last edited by WS6; 03-28-09 at 21:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast