Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simplify...

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There are other issues at play, like ammo costs and some recoil sensitivity to an old injury, but you make good points Todd.
    I'm the last person to recommend a 1911. But if you've got something that works for you, you don't have the time to make an effective transition to something else, and you don't need to recoup the money you've got tied up in the 1911s then you're better off sticking with what you've got for now.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There is a lot to be said about simplicity, like fear the man who owns only one gun.

Unfortunately, I carry two platforms, a Kahr and a 1911. The Kahr was a lot less expensive than the 1911 and therefore gets lots of "car" time, it is also much smaller and lighter for summer carry so there are tradeoffs.

I shoot the 1911 faster than I shoot the Kahr and no amount of practice is going to make them even. The limitations are known and I have to be aware of that if the situation turns bad.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm the last person to recommend a 1911. But if you've got something that works for you, you don't have the time to make an effective transition to something else, and you don't need to recoup the money you've got tied up in the 1911s then you're better off sticking with what you've got for now.
    I'd second this by mentioning the notion of "sunk cost".

If you have a safe full of expensive 1911's you've already put X amount of bucks and, at least in Rob's case, X amount of training time in on the platform, you already have a considerable investment there.

While it's true that somebody who is just pondering the purchase of a handgun is looking at a VERY steep cost and learning curve to get into the 1911 game, those who are already at the top of the curve aren't looking at a whole lot to maintain their position.

If they transition to another design, however, they could be looking at another steep curve....weapon, carry gear, ammo, spare parts, a lot more training required, etc.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 04-02-09 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    Threads on simplification just make me cringe...
    Simplification makes sense. For those who regard their firearms as defensive tools for serious social purposes, standardizing on a particular platform is an incredibly shrewd move that makes the most of resources and training time.

Guns fall into two distinct realms for me: Weapons used for serious social purposes, and fun guns.

If I had to give one up, I'd give up the fun guns. I'd hate it like Rosie O'Donnel hates a treadmill, but I'd do it because I can live without it.

As for training classes, my advice would be this:

If you carry a firearm for personal defense, get some. I would *GLADLY* trade all of my fun guns for the knowledge and experience I've gained in formal training.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    PSA: This is your brain. This is your brain beginning to fail after reading yet another interminable tome on intergovernmental relations for a graduate level course on the topic. This is your foot trying desperately to kick your own ass for being stupid enough to sign up for such a course.
    Isn't that when politicians stand around dry-humping each others legs or something?

Your poem was great.

~tp

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Good thread with some good advice! I am a small time "collector" with everything from a P3-AT for my pocket to a G19 to a full size 1911 and various rifles. I've often considered losing the other rifles and narrowing it down to just AR-15s without much concern and will be doing this in the near future.
    For pistols I would have a much harder time ridding myself of the 1911 due to the fact that I love to shoot it and it's much easier for me to shoot than my G19 or G23.
    I believe that simplification is a great idea for training and can definitely lead to being a better shooter on 1 platform VS mediocre on 10. So after quite a bit of research I think I might need to try out the M&P or possibly do grip reductions on the Glocks to gain the better grip that I've been lacking. Either way I'll still need to keep my CQB as it's my favorite "fun gun"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I did give it a thought, but decided not to. For last two months I was unable to procure ANY 9 mm ammunition, even Wolf. Then I got a case of S&B somehow, but that was it. During the same time, 45 ACP was available from at least two sources, and that allowed me to continue practicing without digging into my last-resort stash.

Feedback Score
    I have been getting rid of almost all my under used weapons. I kept a couple of .38 J-frames for BUG use; 9 mm Glocks, M&P's, .45 ACP 5" 1911's, and a .44 Mag N-frame. Everything else is going away.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 04-02-09 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    Same here, im selling all my 'extra' range toys, and sticking w/ ARs shotgun and Pistols, all in standard calibers.
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by NoBody; 05-04-09 at 07:39.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast