Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vertical foregrips

Feedback Score

vertical foregrips

Guys, I'm looking for some opinions on vertical foregrips. Let me state that my rifle is used for home defense, medium range target shooting, plinking and some varmint hunting. It probably doesn't do all of them real well but it's my only rifle other than a couple .22lrs. I'm a pretty frugal guy with a family to support so having multiple rifles, one for each situation, is kinda out of the question right now.

It seems that the vertical foregrips are all the rage. Are they designed primarily for CQB? I've tried shooting my buddy's AR with them and it just doesn't feel right to me. The hand position is contrary to the way I was taught to shoot.

So what do you think? Are they out of place on a rifle that will be used as I described? Thanks in advance for the input.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll take a stab at this...others my confirm or post to the contrary - it is a personal preference...

But I don't think you're too off base with your intended use. The VFG really shines in CQB and gives the shooter a more stable foundation for the platform, as well as mounting room for other accessories. I think you'll notice in pictures of guys with weapons without VFG, their off-hand is tucked in tight to the receiver in a vertical position, gaining nearly the same stability found in the VFG. From my perspective, hand guards laying in the palm (read: no VFG) is a less stable foundation and in my opinion, less natural, in CQB situations. I'll be able to maintain much better control (and muzzle discipline) of my weapon with a VFG in these instances, especially if a BG tries to gain control of my weapon.

As for varmints, varmint rigs are typically long-range platforms (you never see one with a VFG) and in my experience, the VFG becomes a hindrance to accuracy in these situations. I actually know a former company commander in the 101st who made all his Joes take their VFG off their M4s during qualification after seeing what their presence on the rifles did to scores. After doing so, the scores came back up. You can argue for or against that tactic (train like you fight), but it shows my point.

This is just my long-winded opinion and YMMV. Hope it helps in any case.
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    One thought is that if you use a stubby and stick it in closer to the mag well, you can use it as needed for your HD/CQB type use and still use your hand on the front handguard like normal for your varmint type or medium or long range target shooting
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    One thought is that if you use a stubby and stick it in closer to the mag well, you can use it as needed for your HD/CQB type use and still use your hand on the front handguard like normal for your varmint type or medium or long range target shooting
    Good point. Didn't think of that.
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    Excellent points. I might have to do some more shooting with one to see how that works.
    Shooting prone may be an issue though.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am struggling with this one too. I was a big fan but I noticed no one in three gun uses them for the most part. Usually if it gives you an edge these shooters will use it. If it does not they drop it. I need to do some drills and see what the timer says and the target says. I have stubby grips on my Colt and Noveske and I took them off my other rifles.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I am struggling with this one too. I was a big fan but I noticed no one in three gun uses them for the most part. Usually if it gives you an edge these shooters will use it. If it does not they drop it. I need to do some drills and see what the timer says and the target says. I have stubby grips on my Colt and Noveske and I took them off my other rifles.
    Pat

There is only one upper level guy that uses a VFG in 3-gun/tactical rifle. Why he does I have no idea. Also, the further up the food chain you get in the military the less that use them. The reason is simple- they are not an enhancement to shooting or control. They are useful if there is no room to place your hand on the forend because of accessories, however unless your in a .mil career field you probably have no use for anything more then a light, and even if you are there are ways to activate all the switches and buttons without one.

We tested the accuracy/speed difference against a timer using upper level shooters and found that there is a very slight advantage to the VFG when doing multiple shots (6-8) on the same target at close range (around 10yds and in), however there is a significant disadvantage with the VFG on multiple targets and on targets past room distances. For the test (and in use) the VFG/hand was placed as far foreword on the forend as possible for maximum control.

The end result was that gripping as far forward on the handgaurd as possible without the VFG provided the maximum control and ability to "drive" the gun in the widest range of circumstances.

In short- you can shoot better and faster without one.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My grip doesnt change much with or without.At least not with the thumb and first two fingers.I like the VFG there to grip(if you can call it that) with my pinky and ring fingers.My middle finger kinda rides the base of the VFG where it meets the rail.
    Last edited by Jerm; 04-06-09 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by get_the_roof View Post
    Excellent points. I might have to do some more shooting with one to see how that works.
    Shooting prone may be an issue though.

The magazine hits before the VFG. Especially when a 30 rounder is used with a stubby, no issues.

My thoughts on the VFG are not strong. I've used several and for my money would only buy stubbies from now on.

To me the only real advantages are when using full auto, and only then when using lots and long bursts, and for static CQB. In other words when you are stationary for a long time and have to alert the VFG seems to give you an option when fatigue starts to set in. Along with this it might help with weapon retention. If you don't see yourself doing either of those then it's just if you like it or shoot better with it. There was a long thread on this over on Lightfighter. I'll try to find it and link it.

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...1/m/2301023041
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    There is only one upper level guy that uses a VFG in 3-gun/tactical rifle. Why he does I have no idea. Also, the further up the food chain you get in the military the less that use them. The reason is simple- they are not an enhancement to shooting or control. They are useful if there is no room to place your hand on the forend because of accessories, however unless your in a .mil career field you probably have no use for anything more then a light, and even if you are there are ways to activate all the switches and buttons without one.

We tested the accuracy/speed difference against a timer using upper level shooters and found that there is a very slight advantage to the VFG when doing multiple shots (6-8) on the same target at close range (around 10yds and in), however there is a significant disadvantage with the VFG on multiple targets and on targets past room distances. For the test (and in use) the VFG/hand was placed as far foreword on the forend as possible for maximum control.

The end result was that gripping as far forward on the handgaurd as possible without the VFG provided the maximum control and ability to "drive" the gun in the widest range of circumstances.

In short- you can shoot better and faster without one.
    One thing I have noticed but I am not sure if its perception vs. reality is this. I feel that I can shoot more accurately off hand with a vertical fore grip because I can lock the gun back into my shoulder easily. But I have not tested it fully. It just feels better. I may be going away from VFG's all together. I am having to eat some crow too because nearly all of my instructors on both the tactical and competition side of the fence told me they were not needed and I was bull headed.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast