Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vertical foregrips

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have tried them all and prefer a TD stubby or none.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    VFGs primary application is when a bunch of rail eating crap is attached to your HG, limiting space available to stick your meat hook to the HG. VFGs are not necessary to effectively control full-auto fire, in fact they can be detrimental if the shooter is incorrectly utilizing the VFG- control in full-auto (and rapid multiple semi-auto shots) is more directly linked to mount and stock weld than some notion of pulling the muzzle down during the burst.

VFGs are most handy at giving a consistent, rapidly referenced hand position for efficient use of the weapon and it's mounted ancilliary devices.

This has been discussed here quite a bit, but I think that the 3 letter acronym makes it difficult to search for, I will see if I can dig a recent thread up.

ETA- take a look here- https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27682
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 04-07-09 at 00:47.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    VFGs are most handy at giving a consistent, rapidly referenced hand position for efficient use of the weapon and it's mounted ancilliary devices.
    +1, I like my stubby TD VFG on my social gun as it puts my support hand in the same position every time. Like the others, most of my hand is on the foreend, the grip acts as a backstop and keeps my stance consistent. Also, it gives me a consistent index to my Surefire pressure switch for my light.

I do not have a VFG on my 3-gun upper (JP/VTAC handguard).

Feedback Score
    My first experience with a VFG was with one that came on a gun I purchased a few years ago.

I saw no value in gripping it for semi-auto fire. So I took it off. My standard grip was to hold the front of the mag well and I soon realized that if I used the same hold using the VFG, I might like it.

It worked. So like others, I've found that the VFG works great as a backstop with most of my hand on the handguards.

I havent gotten around to purchasing a stubby, still using the VFG that came with the gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

I agree and that is all I use a stubby for. It is just a reference for my hand to wedge into.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    One thing I have noticed but I am not sure if its perception vs. reality is this. I feel that I can shoot more accurately off hand with a vertical fore grip because I can lock the gun back into my shoulder easily.
    Pat
    Are you talking longer range on small targets (accuracy), or short-medium range chest shots (speed)? If it's the former it will actually be detrimental to accuracy as the tension on the gun via the VFG will tend to pull shots.

This is something I've been working on lately and experimenting with-i.e. tension. I used to use a lot of tension pulling straight back on the VFG and then later wrapping my hand around the handguard and doing likewise. A bit ago we got some comps/FH's and I could immediately see that I am pulling/torquing the gun bad at times, causing the dot to track inconsistently. Not only that but putting to much tension back makes target-to-target transitions much slower.
    Now granted you have to use a bit more tension on guns that use standard FH's, but I am still using quite a bit less then I use to and the guns are tracking much more consistently. fwiw......

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Are you talking longer range on small targets (accuracy), or short-medium range chest shots (speed)? If it's the former it will actually be detrimental to accuracy as the tension on the gun via the VFG will tend to pull shots.

This is something I've been working on lately and experimenting with-i.e. tension. I used to use a lot of tension pulling straight back on the VFG and then later wrapping my hand around the handguard and doing likewise. A bit ago we got some comps/FH's and I could immediately see that I am pulling/torquing the gun bad at times, causing the dot to track inconsistently. Not only that but putting to much tension back makes target-to-target transitions much slower.
    Now granted you have to use a bit more tension on guns that use standard FH's, but I am still using quite a bit less then I use to and the guns are tracking much more consistently. fwiw......
    I am just talking about accuracy not so much speed when shooting off hand.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    When I'm shooting for pure accuracy, I assume the camp perry style of backwards lean and use a 20 round mag as a palm rest. Not sexy, but it is the most accurate way for me to shoot unsupported offhand (standing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12