Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR45 (New Update)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    I don't reload for .223, but I do for .45!

Same here!

I would love to see a quality 45 acp upper for the AR platform.

Feedback Score
    On a side note. Oly makes a 6", .45 barrel for those who are interested in a short suppressed upper or a pistol configuration.

Feedback Score
    And to think I was about to sell 12 brand new GG mags...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    I read that also but I believe it to be written by someone who has never used a GG nor the mags.

Unlike the Thompson's double-column, dual-feed magazine, the Grease Gun used a double-column design that narrowed to a single-cartridge width at the feed end of the magazine. This meant that cartridges in the double-column magazine had to overcome friction in order to reach feeding position
    WTF? All magazines have to overcome some friction. The GG mags start to narrow about 1 1/2 from the feed lips like all double stack pistol mags. If you take off the extra cover, welded near the top of the mag, you will see indents in the mag that ease the transition from double to single feed. Just like on a Paraordnance .45 pistol mag.

required a loading device to fill the magazine to capacity
    No sh*t. I've never loaded one to capacity without a loader. You can take a few coils off the spring to make it easier to load and it will still function fine.

The magazine design was also sensitive to dirt and debris.
    Again, WTF? There are no round count holes in the mag body and the base plate fits fairly snug. The only way dirt and debris can enter the mag is through the top. No less subject to dirt than any other mag and better than those with round count holes.

The U.S. Army later issued plastic caps or covers to keep loaded spare magazines from picking up excess dirt and to protect the feed lips, but this proved to be an incomplete solution.
    The feed lips do not need protection. They are double width feed lips due to the extra thick cover that surrounds the top 1/4 of the mag. Incomplete solution to what? The GG mags are no more suseptable to dirt than current M16 mags. Welcome to combat conditions.

The M3 grease gun may have had durability issues but the mags I own have fed thousands of rounds without so much as a hic-up. The only issue I've encountered is the vast number of manufacturers that made these mags. I measured 10 new in the wrap mags and none were perfectly square.

The AR45 magwell is perfecly square ( as much as can be on a CNC milling machine). I've had to adjust all the GG mags I bought by squeezing them ever so gently in a vice until they dropped free from the magwell when released. Other than that, I haven't had a single issue with the 15+ mags I've been using. I've also not seen a difference in reliability between the blued mags nor the parkerized mags.

And as a last note, the AR45 mag release will work with either the "D" shaped mag slotted mags and the rectangle slotted mags. This was designed into the mag release during initial prtotyping so all GG mags could be used.

Did you know there were 2 different mag catch slots and 2 different finishes on GG mags?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nope, I don't know nothing 'bout nothing when it comes to this subject. That's why I started looking around to do some research on where I could buy GG mags and stumbled on the wikipedia article I quoted.

Could someone provide a link to a retailer that stocks, or currently has in stock, GG mags?

Thanks for the response TC.

Feedback Score
    e-gunparts.com and sarco.com have GG mags. e-guns are $21 and change and Sarcos are $19.95 last time I checked.

Feedback Score
    Bad News. Due to circumstances out of our control, the AR45 will not be displayed at the SHOT Show. DeGroat will not have a table at the show and I don't know anyone elsewho would be willing to display it for me.

Feedback Score
    Great news. Ameetec Arms is looking at licensing the AR45 for production. Please contact them and help me convince them it is worth their time to make these.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=150&t=154182

Feedback Score
    So did you come up with the idea in Kosovo or Iraq? Im confused.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info! I need to get one of those!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast