Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of Trigger Guard?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Removal of Trigger Guard?

I am trying to install a Magpull Miad Grip and trigger guard to my N4. I am realizing that trying to remove the roll pin from the existing trigger guard might not be a just "go for it" process. So, is there a specific punch (size, #, shape,material?) technique (support method) to removing it with out breaking the receiver trigger tabs? After I get it started out do I drive it "all the way thru?" or as it comes out one side do I then grab it with a needle nose pliers and pull? I'm really trying not to have a failed surgery on my new N4

Any tool suggestions that I might need for minor adding and subtracting on my rifle would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I swear I did several searches...I just did it again to see if I'm a special needs forum member and evidently I am Thanks

I'm going to try and find a AR gunsmith in Denver area tomorrow. If I snap it off I'll be ticked for a year

Any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    First, soak the existing installed roll pin in CLP.

Then, follow Magpul's easy instructions with a small hammer and a 1/8" roll pin punch available from Sears. Do not re-use the original roll pin.

Tap slowly, and the oil will be your friend. Use needle-nose pliers for re-inserting the new roll pin, which you should oil heavily prior to installing.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I had to beat the snot out of the pin in my LMT lower to get it out. I think they used some kind of loc-tite or something similar.

Feedback Score
    I wish I knew about that roll pin punch kit before a few days ago when I had to pop out the trigger guard for my MIAD... I almost ruined my punch trying to get that sumbitch out. Anvil Arms LPK in a Superior Arms lower receiver = TIGHT spaces.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I decided to take it to a 1911 gunsmith buddy and have him try because I know him and he is near by. He took one look at it and laughed and confidently said, "This will only take a minute" He went in the back and 15 min later comes back and says with a mixture of frustration and failure, "Son of a B!t@& I think I got it to move, but barely!" He showed me that the pin spun "with" the trigger guard plate and was spinning in the receiver ears, so it was not even barely making contact with the receiver ears if at all. We decided to try one more time from the other side and it was torture listening to him hammer the heck out of it in the back almost like listening to your child screaming in the dentist chair while you wait in the waiting room

We got it and the Miad is now installed Really glad I stopped and let a pro do the first one. I plan on being capable of doing the next one tho

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was hammering out mine too.. it's not a easy task. One of my lowers i would never take out the trigger guard because i know it's so damn tight since I had to hammer the hell out of it to get it in.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mine was pretty snug to but damn. i would have just drilled the old one out. the new trigger guard came with a new one correct?
    Dan@ Valley Center Gun Safety

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I could do it over again I would put the Magpul Trigger Guard in that is not integral to the Miad Grip so that if I need to mess with the grip I would not have to remove the trigger guard also, but I'm thrilled so far with the set up I have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast