Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.5" vs 11.5" Barrels

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

10.5" vs 11.5" Barrels

I noticed @ Bravo Company that they have both 10.5" uppers and then their own BCM 11.5" uppers - is there a practical difference in that 1 inch? I guess what I'm asking is if the standard seems to be 10.5", did Bravo have some kind of reasoning behind making their shorty 11.5"?

Also, as I'm building my first AR (intended for HD), would the 10.5" be a good choice? For now I'd have to pin and weld some kind of FH on until I could talk the wife into the extra $200 to SBR it, but it seems to me that a 10.5" barrelled rifle would be pretty handy indoors... or would I get more versatility out of a 16" or 14.5" rifle?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just hold out for a legal length barrel of you don't have a registered SBR or an AR lower marked "Pistol".

BTW, I believe the 11.5" does make some difference, extra barrel past the gas port allows a little more gas to run the system. Someone else may be better to explain the science of it.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    a 10.5 with a 5.5 inch flash suppressor welded on is the worst of all worlds.

You get the velocity of a 10.5" without the additional muzzle velocity and stability of a 16" bbl.

Its a pointless combination. Either wait until you have the extra $200 to SBR it, or just get a 16" bbl.

Don
    Last edited by dcmdon; 04-08-09 at 00:03.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I did... I just got a BCM M4 upper today.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know about the 11.5" but I have a 10.5" from LMT that has run like a champ with all different ammo, suppressed or not, during the day or at night...

For your first AR get a 16" then don't tell the wife about the extra cost or "her" SBR and get her a 10.5"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In some cases an 11.5-inch upper may be better suited for use with Suppressors because of the way these may be attached. Depending on the muzzle device that must be used, there are some models of cans that will not clear the FSB.

This is especially true for rifles that are piston operated and have adjustable and/or removable pistons (for cleaning). The muzzle device may not allow the user to remove the piston for cleaning.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    11.5 is as short as I'm willing to go. LMT 10.5s have a great reputation, but I still prefer the 11.5 for a touch more velocity and dwell time, and a touch less muzzle BLAST!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    11.5 is as short as I'm willing to go. LMT 10.5s have a great reputation, but I still prefer the 11.5 for a touch more velocity and dwell time, and a touch less muzzle BLAST!
    Same here. All my SBRs are 11.5 or 12.5, with the 12.5s set up for a Surefire full sized can.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I vastly prefer the 11.5" barrel to the 10.5

C4IGrant with KAC SR16E3CQB

I prefer the Costa version though
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Who makes a barrel that is either 11.5" up to say 12.5" in length that is good quality and in stock? I am looking for one for my SBR build and want to exhaust options before I pull the trigger on a BCM 10.5".
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 04-09-09 at 15:23.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast