Thread: Promag Archangel ARS?

Feedback Score

Promag Archangel ARS?

Got a notice that these 10/22 conversion kits are available in the June Brownell's newsletter.

Anyone seen/tried one of these and any thoughts on the unit compared to Nordic Components kit?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hi Dan,

I have one. I was going to post some pics and a mini review but have frankly just not had the time. Here is the short of it. If you want an "AR Trainer" and have an extra 10/22 laying around, go for it. I had an extra receiver around and wanted to build a trainer that would be reliable and able to shoot any ammo. I would love to buy a Spikes or Tac Sol upper, but $600 plus the cost for extra mags just isn't in the cards right now. Also I have heard reviews of this upper likes only X ammo and that upper only shoots Y ammo, etc, etc.

Enter the Archangel, a poor mans nordic so to speak. I got it a while ago while they were still new and with a dealer account I think it was right around 100 bucks, cheap enough for me to give it a try. I had the extra receiver and all of the other parts to make a 10/22 run.

Pros:
    -Uses a 10/22
    -Because its a 10/22 at heart you get:
    Great reliability
    Any ammo works, and I mean any cheap crap I use
    Parts are easy to find and install
    Easy to sell, modify etc
    -Easy to install, simple design (see cons though)
    -Feels pretty solid for it being plastic
    -Stock similar to MagPul
    -Cheap

Cons:
    -Its plastic, easy to strip out threads
    -Tight fit, mine required sanding to fit flush
    -Rails are not quite spec, although I mounted an extra Holo-Sight and VFG just fine
    -Some mold flashing, again may need sanding

Now they are saying to heat some parts in the oven to install, I guess it makes it easier which makes sense. I used some sandpaper and a dremel in some spots to get the fit flush. I really didn't care for the bayo lug/flash hider, I didn't care about the looks. I wanted a rifle that felt like an AR but would run on anything. I really like it, I have taught kids to shoot with it, wives/girlfriends of officers, explorer scouts, etc before using a 223. I have even used it with some of the "special" shooters on the dept to diagnose problems. As a training tool it has been great.

Overall it isn't as nice as a nordic kit or a dedicated upper, but for the price it cant be beat. I will try to post some pics up in next day or so. The weakest point of the 10/22 is the mags. If you do do it, spend some money on some high quality mags, like the ones from Tactical Innovations. Not cheap but will last, they now make a plastic cheaper version that is supposed to be really good, will probably order some of those in the future.

Dave