Thread: Case Trimmer recommendation for LOTS of brass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Case Trimmer recommendation for LOTS of brass

I'd like some recommendations for a case trimmer to trim a large quantity of 223 and 308 brass? I have access to a drill press and a small lathe. What do you use when you need to trim more than 1000 rounds?

Thanks in advance,
    WE

Feedback Score
    If you are set on using your drill press, then I'd go with a Forster.

If not, then either a Dillon or Giraud.

The Giraud trims/chamfers/deburs all at once. The Dillon just trims, but the cut is very clean and often you can get by w/o chamfering and deburring.

The Dillon also sizes simultaneously whereas the Giraud is a separate operation performed off the press.

Reconfiguration between .223 and .308 will be quicker on the Dillon, but you need a separate die for the 2nd cartridge.

The Giraud has the better motor, the Dillon motor is warrantied for just one year IIRC.

The Dillon requires a fixed toolhead or a single stage press for operation. It won't work on a rotating head turret press.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Depends. I know "ti ti" about .308. But with .223 and some 5.56 you don't need to trim. I can get 3 loadings out of many kinds of brass without ever trimming them.

Now if you have LC or WCC brass, forget it. Those cases stretch like rubber bands. (with the exeption of the LC that Red box Fed AE was loaded in. That stuff doesn't stretch at all)

To get back to what to use... I can't really recommend the Possom gadget. It requires a lot of additional work to clean up the brass after you trim it.

The giraud is the king obviously.

Feedback Score
    Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate Micrometer Trimmer w/ Shark Fin is top of the line if you don't want to fork out for a Giraud. Edit: your topic now says for lots of brass: there is a Wilson drill bit attachment available for this product.
    Last edited by Solomon; 04-09-09 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have used the Lee trimmer kits for years and they work great.

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0003098.shtml

You can use them by hand or chuck them in a hand drill.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    I have used the Lee trimmer kits for years and they work great.
    What does it index off of so you don't over trim? How clean is the caseneck?

The possumtestical unit really leaves a lot of post trimming clean up work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Depends. I know "ti ti" about .308. But with .223 and some 5.56 you don't need to trim. I can get 3 loadings out of many kinds of brass without ever trimming them.
    This is true.....If you don't mind in-accurate ammo, and using a Case extractor to remove the blown out brass from the chamber..

All rifle brass grows upon Firing. If you want accurate ammo, using cases that are not trimmed is not the way to do it. Different trim lengths cause different neck tension, different neck tension caused the bullet to release at differing pressures.

Differing pressures cause inaccurate ammo, because velocity is not constant....among other things.

Never mind the first time you jam a untrimmed case into the Leade, you run the risk of increasing pressures way past dangerous levels.

Plus, getting an OAL consistent is going to be fun..........As is getting a decent, REPEATABLE crimp.

Trimming brass is a part of reloading that must not be skipped....If you want to produce the best ammo you can. If all you are looking for are noisemakers and flyers, by all means, reload as found on the ground.

Feedback Score
    jmart,
    Thanks, I knew you had a reason. My neck tension is a little tight but I'm finished in two passes through the press. Good accurate ammo and lots of it fast...
    Thanks again.
    "Recognize that government invasion of public power is eventually an assault upon your own business. If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last." --Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I grabbed a Giraud when they first came out and when I was shooting a lot of high power. It's a very well made tool and I like the fact that it chamfers as well as trims. I really dislike trimming and chamfering brass, but the Giraud makes it tolerable. I use a Forster trimmer for small lots and keep the Giraud on stand by for large amounts of 223, 308, or 30-06. It is important to make sure you have a good sizing set up that results in a consistent shoulder location or else you will get some variation in case length with the Giraud.

Forrest
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred