Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimmer recommendation for LOTS of brass

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Possum Hollow Kwick Case if you're going to use a drill press. I don't seem to have the massive cleanup issues that some are having. I give it two turns with a Lyman deburring tool inside and out and it rarely takes more than two turns on either end.

http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/...-trimmers.html
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 04-09-09 at 16:50.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use the Wilson case trimmer. It's nice, but it's a little slow. The nice thing is it gets the neck trimmed straight because the case is being held in alignment with the case holder. I wish I had a Gracey. The Lee trimmers are good for only limited amounts of trimming. They'll drive you crazy and wear out your fingers. They do work, but there's better ways.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Giraud.

Feedback Score
    For large quantities, go with a power case trimmer. Gracey and Giraud are very good choices. I went with a RCBS with a trim-pro 3 way cutter head.....does everything in one pull of the lever....and it's fast.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Whoa.

Nice rail inset on that bench!

Feedback Score
    I had the same issue(s). I'm all about doing things on the cheap where possible so here's what I did. Went to Sinclair international. Ordered two of the wilson case trimmers with the drill attachment (you get a cheaper price on the set) and one of the possum hollow case trimmers. I then went to harbor freight and got three electric drills for $13.99 ea.. I mounted these to my bench, and put them all on the same power strip. After I size all my brass, I can rip through trimming and chamfering both the inside and outside of the case necks. Also when needed I deburr the inside of the flash holes using the same drill just by changing out one of the tools. Less (way less) than $100 and I don't have to tear down my dillon to mount a seperate case trimmer (not that it's a big deal............but still).
    Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I use the Dillon RT 1200B. Since I am FL sizing anyway this gets rid of that step for me in having to size, then trim, etc.

I basically fill the XL 650 case feed with lubed brass and pull the handle. I have never had to worry about chamfer/debur since the carbide blade on the Dillon is going at 5k+ rpm and makes a nice clean cut.

I just start pulling the handle. That is it. Out comes a nice pile of trimmed brass. I did 1000 in one hour more or less. Then I stick the brass in the tumbler for 1/2 hour to get rid of the lube, then fill the case feed back with the non-lubed brass and load. I don;'t risk getting lube in the primer pocket, which was happening when I was sizing and not trimming (messing around). I just back the normal sizing die off a bit so it only does the neck bit and pops the primer.

(There are other more fancy ways of doing this for those who care to)
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    I use the Dillon RT 1200B. Since I am FL sizing anyway this gets rid of that step for me in having to size, then trim, etc.

I basically fill the XL 650 case feed with lubed brass and pull the handle. I have never had to worry about chamfer/debur since the carbide blade on the Dillon is going at 5k+ rpm and makes a nice clean cut.

I just start pulling the handle. That is it. Out comes a nice pile of trimmed brass. I did 1000 in one hour more or less. Then I stick the brass in the tumbler for 1/2 hour to get rid of the lube, then fill the case feed back with the non-lubed brass and load. I don;'t risk getting lube in the primer pocket, which was happening when I was sizing and not trimming (messing around). I just back the normal sizing die off a bit so it only does the neck bit and pops the primer.

(There are other more fancy ways of doing this for those who care to)
    I do a variation of the same. On my case prep toolhead (550), station #1 has trim die, station #3 has conventional resizer adjusted just as you describe.

On loading toolhead, station #1 has a Lee Universal Flaring Die adjusted to just barely kiss the case mouth. Two good things happen: any micro burrs on the mouth's interior are ironed out and the slightest flare is put on the mouth which aids seating FB bullets. By the time the case makes it through seating and crimping, the flare is removed.

Feedback Score

Thanks

Thanks to all for the input. I thought I would save money by getting something I could use in my drill press but I think I'll look closer at the powered options. I watched a youtube video of both the Giraud and the RT 1200B. The Giraud is very fast but I'm wondering if the RT 1200B will save me even more time by resizing as it trims? Any comments from the Giraud folks? I do have a 550 and the idea of having a head setup for prep and another setup for loading sounds efficient. Any comments on this? Again thanks.

-WE

Feedback Score
    I run an RCBS Trim Pro with the 3 way cutter for both 223 and 308.

I am giving some very serious thought to going to the Dillon trimmer in order to speed up the reloading process and cut down on the amount of brass handling during the process.

Semper Fi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast