Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you know any black gun owners?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh come'on, your all just racist
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Feedback Score
    If you are trying to get more blacks into shooting, you should make an effort to be nice to black shooters whenever you run into them. Just saying hi at the range and asking if they want to try your gun, etc. would probably go a long way. Maybe offer to take a black co-worker out shooting.
    For my situation, when I took my first two day training course back in the mid-2000's, a local dude mentored me and we became shooting and training buddies ever since. He's black and I'm a "white" dude.

He's also one of the guys who is constantly bringing in training classes to the Bay Area, so he's definitely the minority (pun) when it comes to shooting and training.

Feedback Score
    Alot of you guys have brought up some good points about how to get other blacks into shooting,I for one agree with 98% of it. We need to show that it`s not just a bunch of redneck bubbas on the range just blasting away ot any and everything.(Been accused of being a redneck most of my adult life hope I didn`t offend anybody.) Someone mentioned about offering to let a fellow shooter try their gun, I can`t tell you how many times that has happened to me. Guns and gun ownership has been stigmatized and portrayed as a whites only past time, the only time most blacks see a gun is either is one the news being demonized or in a rap video. We need to get the word out that gun ownership/gun safety is good.
    My primary mission is to protect,if that fails my secondary mission is to avenge!

I`m not going to chase you,I believe in the Marine Corps tactic of pursuit by fire!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IRON DUKE View Post
    Alot of you guys have brought up some good points about how to get other blacks into shooting,I for one agree with 98% of it. We need to show that it`s not just a bunch of redneck bubbas on the range just blasting away ot any and everything.(Been accused of being a redneck most of my adult life hope I didn`t offend anybody.) Someone mentioned about offering to let a fellow shooter try their gun, I can`t tell you how many times that has happened to me. Guns and gun ownership has been stigmatized and portrayed as a whites only past time, the only time most blacks see a gun is either is one the news being demonized or in a rap video. We need to get the word out that gun ownership/gun safety is good.
    No doubt! I too have been catagorized as a redneck for as long as i can remeber, being also i live in Kentucky theres a strong stereo type image as well. But you know, the percentage of the shooters that are just racist white trash is hardly measurable, yet thats the side that gets the most attention. I aint racist against race, unless stupid is a race now
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden View Post
    I've met some black guys at the range. I let one guy shoot my 10mm. Gun guys are gun guys it doesn't matter what color they are.

The black guys I knew in Baltimore that carried guns were not "gun guys." They were guys who wanted to survive.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Sudden. Many aren't "gun guys" or "shooters"; they have them for self-defense and that's it.

For all you White rednecks out there. Give me a hug. I'm a Black redneck! At least that's what several of my Black and White friends call me. It's all good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HwyKnight View Post
    it figures that both of my computers would crash right when this thread got started. Go figure.

Other than myself and my cousin (a Fudd) I don't know any. At least not beyond what they use as LEOs. I hate to admit it but I was on the anti-gun side until I woke-up and did a little research (I'm so ashamed). Nice to see I'm not the only minority on this board. Here are some black gun owner, and conservative web sites:

www.blackmanwithagun.com
    www.urbanshooter.com
    http://moveonup.ning.com/
    www.conservativebrotherhood.org
    www.blackgunowners.org
    http://www.nbra.info/index.cfm

I havn't been to all of them, but there are many more.

I very much enjoyed this open discussion and I'm glad the moderators didn't lock it.
    Mind sharing your story?

Feedback Score

Sharing a story

I don't mind sharing at all. I was a typical uninformed 'sheeple' that thought that 2A was there because folks needed to hunt, and fight off indians, etc. back in the day. I supported the original AWB. You can't hunt with them, so why have them?. At least that's what the grabbers want you to believe. I remember telling a friend back in '93, 'You don't need those AK47s'. To me, and unfortunately, many other people, anyone who owned such a thing was the typical ultra right radical survivalist that was a heartbeat from killing us all. Like I said I was a sheeple. Then, through being a LEO, (I was much the rookie in'93) I met a few people who were very, very good people, who happened to be gun owners. They were nothing like the stereotype. My political views have always had a conservative lean, except my former opinion on guns. My opinion on guns was changed several years ago by my association with these good people. I had often thought of buying an AR since then, but never got around to it. Late summer 2008 I decided that I would take the AR plunge, but had to do some research first. I went to the NRA, and Brady web sites, and started comparing facts side by side. I also read up on 2A, the federalist papers, etc. Everyone on either side of a particular issue tends to distort the facts in their favor, however, the antis take this to a whole new level. They are a million times more guilty of this than us pro-gun folks. They not only distort, they flat out lie. I don't take kindly to being lied to. A a minority I will occasionally surf the hate group sites to see what they are up to. (it is wise to keep an eye on people who would do you harm) It was then that I noticed a similar tone to the antis web sites. Not racially, but they see us as uneducated, less than, beneath them, etc. The pro-gun sites talk down about the antis as well but it is not nearly to the same degree. The antis, are convinced that they are superior. So, after finding out that the antis were full of crap I bought my first AR in October. My second in February, and looking for a third. One for me and each of my boys. As a LEO I am still occasionally torn on what to do about gun violence, but I don't see how more gun laws will change it. A while back I thought it might be a good idea to put the AKs/ARs under NFA, but that won't do anything. So, now I am a pro-gun AR owning noob, looking to learn. As a minority I can't ignore the racial historical significance of Obama, especially given the racial turmoil that this country has been, and occasionally still goes through. However, I strongly disagree with his policies, and did not vote for him. Hope this answers your questions. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Feedback Score
    You won't find too many blacks into the tactical side of things. All the black gun owners I know just pretty much see them as tools for SD and don't really see them as a hobby or the sporting aspect of it. If it wasn't for a HS friend and my JROTC and ROTC experiences in college I would have probably ended up the same way.

My gun ownership along with going to college and getting a decent paying job and having to pay taxes out the ass turned my views from liberal to conservative. I vote republican or libetarian most of the time and didn't vote for BHO. I'm quite the opposite of most people here. I really didn't socialize with white people until I went to college. I went to all black schools, grew up in an all black neighborhood, and probably would have went to an HBCU if it weren't for my ROTC scholarship, which opened up many doors for me.

You won't see many of us at the range or a F-class, 3 gun, benchrest, tactical class for many reasons. For me right now I'm getting in registered benchrest shooting because I found a group of black BR shooters that were really into it. I didn't hook up with these guys because they were black it just happened to be that they were the friendliest and most welcoming. I went to a local range with my AR50 and some NFA items and had to talk to the police for an hour explaning why I had those types of weapons. No big deal, but I found it rather interesting that I was singled out as having "suspected" stolen weapons. I had copies of all my paperwork including my receipt for the AR50. I like it when I see anyone getting into firearms and shooting, but I especially love it when I see another black person get into it because there are so few of us. It started out as just getting into guns and but it ultimately changed my whole political ideology.
    Last edited by andre3k; 04-14-09 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Really great posts guys, keep'em coming!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I went to a local range with my AR50 and some NFA items and had to talk to the police for an hour explaning why I had those types of weapons. No big deal, but I found it rather interesting that I was singled out as having "suspected" stolen weapons.
    Shit like that just makes my blood boil....
    Last edited by Gentoo; 04-15-09 at 06:59.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast