Thread: Receiver end plate removal boogered up the threads on buffer tube. typical question.

Feedback Score

Receiver end plate removal boogered up the threads on buffer tube. typical question.

Colt LE6920 removing Castle nut the receiver end plate was staked so deep that when I removed it it marred up the threads on the buffer tube. Before I go removing the receiver end plate of my other 6920 is this somewhat normal to mar up the threads a bit.

I had to rotate the castle nut clockwise to push the plate of the tube and in doing so buggered the threads all the way to the end it would not just slide right off like a new one slides on.

The threads cleaned up alright and it screwed back into the receiver with the new end plate but I want to make sure it was not user stupidity in twisting the castle nut to remove the staking and driving the metal down into the threads.

Feedback Score
    ...............?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why would you need to take off the Receiver extension on a 6920?

You can cut the staking and simply replace the plate and castle nut.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    ...................................simply replace the plate and castle nut.
    Castle nut does not need replaced but I am replacing receiver end plate with noveske QD sling attachment plate you have to remove the buffer tube and get the old plate off to put the new one on.

In doing so the old receiver end plate where it had been staked deep enough to tear up the threads would not simply slide off the buffer tube. In the process of pushing it off the buffer tube by rotating the castle nut it dinged up the threads of the buffer tube as it was pushed off.
    Last edited by USMC88-93; 04-13-09 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. That's some hardcore staking.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Resurrecting and old thread

I had the same thing happen with by BCM lower receiver. The end plate was staked with so much force that not only did it push metal into the castle nut it also forced metal down into the threads. Then the end plate does not slide off. I had already marred a section of the threads on the receiver extension before I knew about the problem. Next time I guess I will just cut it off.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC88-93 View Post
    Castle nut does not need replaced but I am replacing receiver end plate with noveske QD sling attachment plate you have to remove the buffer tube and get the old plate off to put the new one on.

In doing so the old receiver end plate where it had been staked deep enough to tear up the threads would not simply slide off the buffer tube. In the process of pushing it off the buffer tube by rotating the castle nut it dinged up the threads of the buffer tube as it was pushed off.
    Are you sure it was the staking? One pitfall in removing the endplate is trying to turn the buffer tube out with the endplate in place and the nub at the bottom scours the threads as you turn the buffer with the endplate stationary.

Best practice is to un-stake, which is usually a one shot deal. That should then render the castle nut free enough to unscrew all the way out, slide the endplate back, remove the takedown detent spring (don't lose the detent), then unscrew the buffer tube and endplate as a unit.
    Last edited by Hmac; 10-13-10 at 20:19.