Thread: Need BCM/Colt/Noveske SBR Upper Info

Feedback Score

Need BCM/Colt/Noveske SBR Upper Info

Considering a 10.5" or maybe 11.5" upper, and before I just go with LMT's Mk18 upper, I'd like to know about the Noveske N4 light series 10.5"s.
    I recently saw an internet forum/auction site, in which the private seller had a Noveske N4 Light 10.5" upper for sale. It was the standard one, with standard plastic M4 type handguards, but I had THOUGHT that Noveske had ONLY made these uppers with the SWS FF rails. (I think he deems these SWS FF Rail uppers as the "Low Profile" models) SO, I'm just wondering if Noveske indeed offered the 10.5" N4's in the standard "Basic" configuration (with the standard plastic M4 handguards)????? Anyone know, and anyone know the price of the Noveske 10.5's, both with SWS rail (Low Profile), and "Basic" with the plastic M4 or round handguards???? Noveske website no longer shows the pricing, and does not show any 10.5" upper, other than the SWS "Low Profile" model.

Also, how about the BCM SBR uppers? I cannot find the post, but I swear I read that BCM either had some more 11.5's planned, or possibly some 10.5's planned?
    Finally, how about Colt? I know Colt makes an 11"ish upper, and a 10" ish upper (maybe 10.3"?) Never been sure about the Colt SBR's, as the 14.5" 6921 is the only Colt SBR I'm familiar with.
    Can someone clear this up for me as far as what these specific Colt models are, and maybe a source, other than SAW and Gunbroker? Nothing wrong with the LMT at all, but I'd surely like to entertain the idea of the Colt/BCM or Noveske just for the hell of it.
    Thanks for any info guys.
    Last edited by Razorhunter; 04-14-09 at 13:01.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bravo Co has the Noveske N4 10.5 complete upper in stock now. $749 for a basic upper half with no BCG/CH is a little high, but it's available now if you want a 10.5.

My favorites are the Colt or Sabre 11.5... because I prefer 11.5. Both of my Sabres have been very impressive barrels although they're somewhat hard to scare up too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    although they're somewhat hard to scare up too.
    Pardon the ignorance, not sure what this means? Price is hard to swallow, or they are somewhat hard to find (scarce?) Thanks for the clarification.

I just don't know if I can justify spending over $450 -$500 for a standard upper (which is actually what a 16" upper SHOULD cost). A shorter (less steel) 10.5" bbl'd upper SHOULD cost LESS than the 16" uppers, but we all know these companies don't want to help us out like that.
    Anyhow, I know the BCM and LMT uppers are the only ones in the $450ish range, but I would still like to find out more about the Colt SBR model designations and also the pricing/availability of them?
    I know the following Colt designations:

1. 6921 = 14.5" M4 upper

2. 6933 = ??? (either 10.3" or 11.5" maybe?) need clarification here

3. Colt "Commando" = 11.5" bbl I think but I cannot remember the actual model #
    ???

I know I have seen some Colt 10.3" bbls, and I THOUGHT I had even seen some 10.5" bbl'd uppers from Colt? Also, I'm thinking the 11.5" bbl is the only other length I've seen on a factory Colt upper right? SAW used to have all of these Colt SBR model # designations listed on their site, even when they were out of stock, but now they are no longer listed for me to reference, thus my desire for info now.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Clarification - The Sabres are somewhat hard to find. But everything is these days.

The amount of steel in an SBR compared to a 16" barrel is negligible. It's not the steel that's a significant cost in a barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    A shorter (less steel) 10.5" bbl'd upper SHOULD cost LESS than the 16" uppers, but we all know these companies don't want to help us out like that.
    Keep in mind that a company is more likely to sell a longer barreled upper because they are available to everyone, and the shorty uppers are designated for a select group of enthusiasts, that are willing to jump through federal mandated hoops to use them. There are more people lining up for a completely 'legal' upper than an SBR designated upper, so if that's the market that is bringing the most money, then that's the corner of the market that they'll most likely cater to. The "less steel less cost" argument is a bit naive, because after all, what are they going to do with the 6" section of barrel now? They've effectively chopped off a percentage of their marketability margin. GIVE THESE COMPANIES A BREAK.

Ziptie

Feedback Score
    Ok, ok, give ME a break bro. It would be "naive" to think I was attempting to give anyone a hard time. A simple comment I was thinking aloud. I've worked in many a machine shop, and I'm fully aware that many companies either don't produce bbls in the manner necessary to where shorter bbls would cost less to produce, and I'm fully aware that it's not just the material itself.
    I don't think I stated any fact, just stated that I personally think they SHOULD cost a little less (and they COULD, IF they were produced in BATCHES of the same length).
    It is wasteful to chop bbls down and leave drops of steel all over the floor, when you can simply produce 10.5's and 16's seperately... IOW's, it's simply not wise to chop 5.5" off a 16" bbl in an attempt to get to 10.5"...
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"