Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: WCC 88 headstamp greentip

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,270
    Feedback Score
    97 (100%)

    WCC 88 headstamp greentip

    Picked up about 500 rounds of this at a gunshow 2 years ago. Still sitting on my shelf. Headstamp is WCC 88, with red sealant (I guess) around the primer. Bullet is greentip. Was sold to me as M855 green tip 62 gr. Had some feeding problems with it in a POS DPMS I had before I found this forum, and learned about the Chart and H buffers, etc. I haven't tried it in any of my BCMs or LMTs yet. Anyone know anything about this stuff? Plink it or save it for SHTF stash? Found that the headstamp code means Olin, and that's about it. There's no NATO markings on the headstamp.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    20,021
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    Rider,

    Bulgaria manufactures a round that is an SS109 with a green tip. Around the top of the casing there is a light red sealant as well as around the primer. The green tip is noticeably different than real M855. However you said that it has WCC which a Winchester headstamp.

    In any case if it is true 5.56 ammo it may cause problems in your DPMS because DPMS chambers are not 5.56.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rider79 View Post
    Picked up about 500 rounds of this at a gunshow 2 years ago. Still sitting on my shelf. Headstamp is WCC 88, with red sealant (I guess) around the primer. Bullet is greentip. Was sold to me as M855 green tip 62 gr. Had some feeding problems with it in a POS DPMS I had before I found this forum, and learned about the Chart and H buffers, etc. I haven't tried it in any of my BCMs or LMTs yet. Anyone know anything about this stuff? Plink it or save it for SHTF stash? Found that the headstamp code means Olin, and that's about it. There's no NATO markings on the headstamp.





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,341
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yep. Sounds like good, WIN ammo. Good ammo, bad gun.

    You could run a few rounds in a reloading headspace guage to check it. But I'd be surprised to find that the ammo was the problem.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,270
    Feedback Score
    97 (100%)
    Yeah, the gun was a POS that's long gone. So should I keep this for SHTF?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    20,021
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    I wouldn't go blowing it at the range if that's what you mean. Or did you mean get rid of the DPMS?


    Quote Originally Posted by Rider79 View Post
    Yeah, the gun was a POS that's long gone. So should I keep this for SHTF?





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,341
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Keep the ammo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,270
    Feedback Score
    97 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I wouldn't go blowing it at the range if that's what you mean. Or did you mean get rid of the DPMS?
    Yeah, I meant the ammo. Sold the DPMS for a $300 profit right after Obamanation struck.

    So is it true Green Tip M855? Or just a look a like that someone painted?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    20,021
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    I know that Winchester does make some, so it is possible. Easy way to find out is just dissect a round or actually get a magnet and see if it sticks to the bullet. If so, then there is steel under there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rider79 View Post
    Yeah, I meant the ammo. Sold the DPMS for a $300 profit right after Obamanation struck.

    So is it true Green Tip M855? Or just a look a like that someone painted?





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,270
    Feedback Score
    97 (100%)
    I'll have to find a magnet. I appreciate the help guys. A search on here didn't do much except ID the headstamp. Would the "88" on this be referring the the year of manufacture? Or just a code?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    20,021
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    Year of manufacture.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rider79 View Post
    I'll have to find a magnet. I appreciate the help guys. A search on here didn't do much except ID the headstamp. Would the "88" on this be referring the the year of manufacture? Or just a code?





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,270
    Feedback Score
    97 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Year of manufacture.
    I thought so. Thanks for your help.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Niantic CT
    Posts
    1,964
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Do you have the box they came in? Their should be a manufacture code on them ie: Q3131. As far as keeping them for SHTF, well, they are over 20 years old. I know that ammo should be fine after 20 years but personally I like newer stuff. At least try some in your rifles to make sure it works.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •