Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my new CMMG .22LR conversion kit - help!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celer View Post
    Can't find fed bulk anywhere, but have used CCI minimags and Remington gold.
    I haven't tried the minimags in my CMMG, but I learned very early on that the Remington Goldens were just about the worst thing to try to feed to my kit. YMMV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here are a few photo's of my CMMG kits:
    The top picture is the bolt and the bottom picture is the chamber adaptor.
    Brownell's gave me my money back and I bought one from Spikes Tactical.

Sasquatch has taken a picture of me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i was told there was a 500 round break in, and to keep it well lubed.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have a CMMG bolt that was sub-par out of the box. I have since swaped the extractor for one from BDM. I disassembled the entire thing and sanded every surface using 1500 grit sandpaper. I polished the feed ramp and the chamber, and most importantly I used a jewlers file to smooth out the channels of the bolt where they slide. I found a bur where the extractor roll pin passed through, this was the main cause of excess friction. I also polished the firing pin. I lightly oiled it up and ran 200 quick rounds through it without a single hang-up. I shot Federal 550 bulk, and Remington Golden Bullet. I didn't bother shooting my good CCI since it ate the Remington crap with no problem.

Feedback Score
    Well, the OP never posted again, but I'll post my latest 2¢...

I took out my CMMG kit (in my CMMG rifle) last weekend and ran 100-150rnds of Federal bulk pack through it. There were no failures of any kind.

I've made ZERO modifications to my kit. I only put a bit of oil (Mobil1) on the moving parts (the rails, the firing pin, etc.) and clean it up every 100-150rnds.

Accuracy is still poor (3-4" groups at 25yds, shooting offhand), but it's still a blast to shoot. I introduced a new shooter to the AR, and she (5'2", 90lbs), and she was thrilled to shoot it as a .22lr.

Good luck,

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    I had my CMMG conversion out again last weekend, and a friend and I fired 75 or 100 rounds of Federal bulk pack through it.

There was one oddball failure to feed when the other guy was shooting (this has been the first failure I've had, after several hundred rounds), but otherwise it was flawless.

Anyway, the guy with me at the range shot through mag after mag of .22 in the AR—it was a lot of fun.

Of course, after 4 or 5 mags (10 rounds each), not being able to shoot very accurately gets a little old, so we went back o shooting my bolt-action Marlin .22.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    any experience or thoughts on the CMMG mags? any advice on its first use? thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juan69 View Post
    any experience or thoughts on the CMMG mags? any advice on its first use? thanks
    I personally think they better than the Black Dog Mags, because they are less prone to cracking/chipping.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    CMMG is a four letter word in my experience. I've seen one CMMG gun that works properly, and the other 8 were mis-assembled. They shipped me a 14.5" upper without pinning/welding the flash hider; they shipped another guy an upper with a cheaper rail than the one he'd ordered. For a .22 conversion, I'm sticking with Spike's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    CMMG is a four letter word in my experience. I've seen one CMMG gun that works properly, and the other 8 were mis-assembled. They shipped me a 14.5" upper without pinning/welding the flash hider; they shipped another guy an upper with a cheaper rail than the one he'd ordered. For a .22 conversion, I'm sticking with Spike's.
    I guess the word is getting out???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast