Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes H&K's P7s and doesn't think they are a waste of $$$??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Who likes H&K's P7s and doesn't think they are a waste of $$$??

I'd like to hear your opinions on them, see pics of ones you own and learn a little bit about them. I know quite a bit, but the one thing I know I know for sure is that I don't know enough to purchase one.

I would like to purchase ONE and do it right the first time! NOT like I did with 1911s and buy a friggin's S&W!!

Of course I won't make the mistake of buying a SW P7 as that would be impossible. What I mean is I don't want to go the cheap route and get burned but I don't want to spend too much on too much.

I would like to be able to shoot the sonofabitch!

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    I've got to shoot several. I've even handled the .40cal version. The only thing I don't like about them is how hot the underside of the frame gets near the barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I actually bought one tonight, but have used them in the past.

PROS:

1. HK quality
    2. Accuracy of a fixed barrel
    3. Ergonomic
    4. Great trigger
    5. Good sights
    6. Slim, compact, and concealable

CONS:

1. Expensive
    2. Mag release on butt sucks...variants with normal frame mounted ones cost much more
    3. Mags are expensive $60+
    4. 8 rds of 9mm.........
    5. HOT barrel above trigger
    6. Holster options limited...just like the sight options, grip options, light options(nonexistant)
    7. Your'e supporting the dudes that hate the public shooting community
    8. The manual of arms is different to the degree that this needs to be your only carry gun since the trigger is so sensitive once cocked. I keep mine as a plinker/conversation piece.

I love the P7, even with all it's negatives. it feels and shoots like no other, and is made with all the care of a Rolex.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I carried an early P7M8 for about 7 years in the 90's.

I loved it. Very flat, easy to carry with the right rig, and fast.

Did I say fast?

Fast.

Also, it was so accurate it was scary.

It was also fast.....

The one thing that I didn't like about it was that it heats up very quickly, to the point of being uncomfortable after 50 rounds. The gas operation makes it accurate and fairly mild shooting, but the gas piston is located under the barrel right over your trigger finger and the heat travels down the grip area.

I could deal with the squeeze cocking mechanism, it's just training.

I bought another when HK announced that they weren't going to produce them anymore. I'd been shooting and carrying my SIG P226 by then for several years, and when I tried to go back to the P7M8, I was a little dissapointed.

Still extremely accurate, still fast, but the weight of the pistol in relation to the capacity truned me off, and the heat issue was the straw that caused me to sell it and keep shooting my SIG.

If I had an extra $1500.00 laying around and didn't have other things to buy, I'd get another one. They're "neat" guns, unique, and as I've said, very accurate pieces.

I don't know how you'd "not do it right" if you want one, since the only on you're going to buy is going to be a real HK.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd be buying an M8 or an M13- that's for sure. So, it would have the standard USP and newer type mag release, not the European style butt release.

Now, the main drawback to me is the heat issue- I've heard that the heat is a major issue and think it would be something I'd learn to hate. I can't go to the range and only put 50 rounds through a gun. The 1911 gets 200 per trip on average. The suppressed 92fs will get at least 100 rounds through it when I feel like buying 9mm.

That brings up a good point- after a mag I usually try to retighten the suppressor. It's usually too hot to handle bare handed after 15 rounds and I'll set it down for a bit while I reload another mag. So, if that's all the time I'd have to spend to let the P7 cool down between firings to keep it from getting unbearable, I'm willing to accept it.

What sucks is that I hear threaded barrels are upwards of $200-$400 and I'd really like to use the Matrix9 I have on anything I get in 9mm- I feel it would be stupid not to keep that in mind.

As far as sights and holsters being drawbacks, I've seen newer PMs with night sigthts that look like mini versions of the 10-8 sight I put on my SA.

I've also seen a few holsters that seem to work well with the P7s.

So they are fast, huh? Fast to draw, aim?

M4- what did you buy tonight? M7? M13? How used? Refurb'd or milled Police trade in?

I have a thought- if 8 rounds of .45 is good enough for carry and personal protection, 8 rounds of a decent 9mm ought to be enough as well. I will NOT be up against 8 attackers where each round will have to incapacitate an attacker by itself. More than likely there won't ever be enough bad guys to where they'd be able to receive less than 3 each, hopefully!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I found this little beauty today:

S/N 16-128XXX, HK P7M8 Pistol, 9mm, KI date code, 1998 German mfg., Sterling, VA marked, with NO WARNING on slide. Original finish, excellent condition with only very light finish wear on the sharp edges. Includes custom walnut Nill Grips, OEM black plastic storage case with red HK logo, and 2 factory mags, (no cleaning tools or owners manual), and Master cable lock.
    $1285 with the Walnut Grips or $1195 with standard Black.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh, and a big drawback to these guns that noone mentioned is the size compared to a 15 round G19!!

If you look only at the size, capacity, weight and price, the G19 wins hands down...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The PSP's and P7's have the older heel mag release and no heat shield, all the M series have the ambi mag release behind the trigger guard where you'd expect them to be, and a heat shield.

If you give the pistol a little while to cool off, you're ok....but shooting an IDPA match with one will make a man out of you....

The pistols present very quickly, and have a very fast reset time. The very low bore angle and gas operation make it easy to keep on target.

I mentioned the weight to capacity issue as the main reason I sold my second one and went back to the SIG.....
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a PSP/P7. I once had an M13, but they commanded such a high price I sold it. I didn't want to hang onto a $1700 gun I had no use for. I'd get an M8 if I wanted one to carry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SHz,

If you can get one, do it. IMHO, the finest 9mm ever made. I've only carried 3 pistols in 26 years and a P7M13 was for over half of that time.

They are trick pieces, incredibly accurate with that fixed barrel. The unique manual of arms requires practice but it's worth it.

I have a P7K3 .380 with the .32 and .22 conversion kits. The .380 makes a PERFECT bug.

The 13 requires pretty big hands. The M8 is a great choice. That's plenty of rounds for most social situations.

I know they are spendy but you get what you pay for and they hold their value well.
    "No you don't, sunshine"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast