Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 870 receiver rail for optic?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Just a quick update for those that care. We ended up getting this Mesa unit and it is freaking sweet! Just wanted to update that you can in fact still use the factory iron sights if no optic is mounted on the rail.

Now if I could just get the factory bolt off to replace the wooden buttstock....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Take off the barrel and fore end... Remove the bolt and carrier... Remove the butt pad / plate...

The threads for the stock bolt are in the rear of the receiver and can be oiled from the inside of the receiver... The screw is a standard "about 3/8" slot head , its just deep in the stock...

If it is real stuck, stand it up on its end overnight so the oil can soak in... Then lock it in a padded vice and with a long standard screwdriver have at it...

If after all that it still will not come off, just take a wood chisel and split the stock in two right down the middle...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok I'll try oil'n her up. It's all stripped down to just the receiver right now already. I can't remember ever having one this tight.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    Anything by Mesa Tactical is top quality. See their telescoping stock rail and their saddle rail for ideas.
    My experience has not been as good as yours apparently. The product I have purchased from them in the past left a lot to be desired in the fit/finish and usefulness department.

Then again, I refer mainly to the side-saddle/rail combo I bought for my M4 Benelli.

Their other products are most likely better thought out. However, the rail on that 870 setup they make is only good if you are not using a QD style mount. Run a LaRue or ADM or anything other than a full cross-through system (like GG&G Accucam) and you will shred the mount and some people have had their optics go airborn.

If you are running a non QD optic, it should do.

ETA: Not picking on Mesa except for their horrid mating of the M4 side-saddle setup to the shotgun. Those axial cuts are present on almost every single shotgun rail on the market, making QD mounts impossible to use. My friend and I have convinced a manufacturer to make a proper rail for the M4 though, without axial cuts, that actually FITS the shotgun and wont warp/flex the reciever like the Mesa when tq'ed over finger-on-small-allen-wrench-tight. Should have pix of her up in 6-8 weeks.
    Last edited by WS6; 04-30-09 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can understand how the LaRue might have issues but not the ADM if you say the GGG mount will work?

While I get your issues with the axial cuts, without them you couldn't use the factory iron sights. So I guess it's a trade off.

I did notice that the forearm got stuck when I racked it back after I put it on. So I think I may have tightened the trigger screws too tight but I would've thought the receiver was stronger than that because I didn't get them that tight.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh-L View Post
    I can understand how the LaRue might have issues but not the ADM if you say the GGG mount will work?

While I get your issues with the axial cuts, without them you couldn't use the factory iron sights. So I guess it's a trade off.

I did notice that the forearm got stuck when I racked it back after I put it on. So I think I may have tightened the trigger screws too tight but I would've thought the receiver was stronger than that because I didn't get them that tight.
    Why not if they are ghost-ring sights? I put a Magpul ladder style cover on and could still use the sights, and the ladder cover extends higher than the rail itself. I see no issue.

With a bead-sight, I agree, but a bead-sight is just a rough guestimate anyways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh-L View Post
    It has the factory rifle sights mounted on the barrel. I would think if you can see the bead sight then I'd be able to see them. Thanks for all he info.
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Why not if they are ghost-ring sights? I put a Magpul ladder style cover on and could still use the sights, and the ladder cover extends higher than the rail itself. I see no issue.

With a bead-sight, I agree, but a bead-sight is just a rough guestimate anyways.
    Last edited by DrBaker; 05-01-09 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBaker View Post
    I concede the point, shoulda read the OP's a little closer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12