Thread: Registered auto receiver + SBR upper --> two tax stamps?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Registered auto receiver + SBR upper --> two tax stamps?

A buddy of mine is on the last couple weeks before his transfer goes through on a select fire M16 lower receiver. I've been talking to him about selecting an upper receiver, and a question came up. If he decides to go with say a 10.5" upper, does he need to go through the process of registering the lower as an SBR as well, including engraving the lower + another $200 tax?
    Last edited by jakjakman; 04-21-09 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    No he will not need to register the MG as an SBR. A MG can have any length barrel on it.

On a slightly different note....If you have a standard AR15 lower (not registered as an NFA item), you can install a RLL or RDIAS and use a shorty upper. If the RLL or RDIAS is removed from the receiver, you would have to remove the shorty upper too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What exactly is RLL and RDIAS? I've tried to search it but I can't find a good explanation.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Registered Lighting Link and a Registered drop in auto sear which will allow a semi auto lower to be turned into a full auto but only the RLL and RDIAS are the registered part when it is removed the weapon then become a semi auto again with the restrictions of the 16 inch barrel
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 04-21-09 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    What exactly is RLL and RDIAS? I've tried to search it but I can't find a good explanation.
    RLL = Registered Lightning Link
    RDIAS = Registered Drop-In Auto Sear

Either one will allow you to legally convert most AR15 lower receivers to full-auto since the parts themselves are considered to be the "machinegun". Last time I checked, the going price was well over $10k for either one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRich View Post
    RLL = Registered Lightning Link
    RDIAS = Registered Drop-In Auto Sear

Either one will allow you to legally convert most AR15 lower receivers to full-auto since the parts themselves are considered to be the "machinegun". Last time I checked, the going price was well over $10k for either one.
    yelp $13k was the price of the last one I saw for sale.

Feedback Score
    The RDIAS are much higher than the RLL. It has been a few months since I've priced them. Last I looked the RDIAS was about $12k and the RLL was about $7.5k.

The downside to the RLL, IMO, is that it is virtually impossible to get it working with a .22lr kit.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    But everyone's in agreement to the original question? (It's not that I don't believe you DrBaker, just want to be sure. )

Feedback Score
    If the lower is a registered full auto lower you can put any upper on it. The machine gun trumps the sbr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakjakman View Post
    But everyone's in agreement to the original question? (It's not that I don't believe you DrBaker, just want to be sure. )
    DrBaker is correct.