Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder holster tips.

Feedback Score
    I do carry strong side IWB about 99.999% of the time when I'm not at work. On just a couple of occasions, I carried my G26 in a bellyband holster when I needed to have a tucked shirt.

There are several reasons why I want to try this out. One is to take the weight off my belt at least for some of the time, because I'm already paid to carry enough crap around my midsection for 40+ hours/week. Another is so that I can have better access to a weapon if I'm seated in a car.

As for body type. I'm 5'11", around 195lbs medium build. I'm not obese by any means, but not all muscle either. Chest is 42.5" and I wear pants between 34" and 36", depending on whether I'm wearing an IWB holster or not.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    None of these issues are impossible to overcome.
    Again I could make a felching reference ...

The question isn't whether the problems can be overcome. The question is whether it's a practical solution versus other options.

If I can't wear a belt, I use a fannypack (HawkePak). I'm hard pressed to think of a situation in which:
    1. I cannot wear a belt.
    2. I cannot use a fannypack.
    3. I can wear a jacket without any chance of having to remove it.

And if such a situation were to arise, I'd be much more inclined to go with SmartCarry or something similar.

If there's a method of carry you use only two days a year, how much training & practice do you put into using that method?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

The question isn't whether the problems can be overcome. The question is whether it's a practical solution versus other options.

If I can't wear a belt, I use a fannypack (HawkePak). I'm hard pressed to think of a situation in which:
    1. I cannot wear a belt.
    2. I cannot use a fannypack.
    3. I can wear a jacket without any chance of having to remove it.

And if such a situation were to arise, I'd be much more inclined to go with SmartCarry or something similar.

If there's a method of carry you use only two days a year, how much training & practice do you put into using that method?
    I was going to post about how a shoulder holster is my lazy man's carry method if I'm wearing sweats and just want to walk to the corner store. I throw a bomber style jacket over it and off I go. Your post made me think it over a bit though. Ignorance is (was) bliss.

PS- I couldn't remember what felching was and looked it up from work. I'm sure the IT guys will enjoy that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    You're freaking me out with that shit. I'm proud to say I had to look it up to find out what it is you East Coasters are all about!

Not much. I make a few presentations when I put it on. But I look at it like having a pistol within reach instead of going completely unarmed. There's no chance of outdrawing someone who has picked you out for a surprise attack, but you have a real pistol in the even that you're in a situation where some nut just decides to attempt a mass shooting.

I carry the Hawkepak too.... maybe 10 times per year. But like most fanny packs, the holster isn't right. You can present the pistol ok, but reholstering is an awkward cluster ****. Then you have the seatbelt to deal with.
    Last edited by markm; 04-23-09 at 14:59.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB62 View Post
    PS- I couldn't remember what felching was and looked it up from work. I'm sure the IT guys will enjoy that.
    You really should have worded that differently.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not much. I make a few presentations when I put it on. But I look at it like having a pistol within reach instead of going completely unarmed.
    Having a gun is always better than having no gun, agreed.

I carry the Hawkepak too.... maybe 10 times per year. But like most fanny packs, the holster isn't right. You can present the pistol ok, but reholstering is an awkward cluster ****. Then you have the seatbelt to deal with.
    I've never had a real problem, though admittedly I'm not concerned about the speed of my re-holster technique. As for the seatbelt, I just lift the whole pack up and over so it clears the belt. A forceful pull on the belt will also get it free of the pack if you need to bail out of the car quickly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think my pack was somewhat Farked up from the get go. I had to have my amature seamstress Mom tweak it a little to get the muzzle portion wide enough to get my Glock to holster at all. It appeared oversewn where the muzzle goes for a righty.

Feedback Score
    I carry either IWB or same position OWB the majority of the time whether I'm in & out of vehicles a lot or not. Even on very long road trips, this is usually the norm. However, I have a very old Galco system from the period between the Jackass shoulder rig & the Miami Classic. I use this time to time as the situation warrants; just as I do ankle rigs.

One of my vehicles is a performance car with very tight seating that holds you in place. Knives, flashlights, guns & magazines don't work well in that environment. Strapped-in, the tools will tear into the leather seats & there's no hope of reaching them if you need one with my usual method of carry. Combine that with very long hours of cross country driving (last Fri. was 688 mi.) & the shoulder or ankle rig makes sense. But, their utility is limited in my opinion. Sure, there are other alternatives, but I look at them like shoes or any other clothing - use them to fit the situation at hand. I don't wear the same clothes, shoes or holsters all the time for every occasion. My job requires exposure to a wide range of environments, weather & challenges - from the boardroom to a rooftop to burned-out or collapsed buildings or climbing towers. The tools/clothing/shoes change as the situations change.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    SHHHHHHH.....

Here ya go....

Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 04-24-09 at 18:33.

ToddG Guest
    Well, at least you make appendix carry look safe.

Nice Pani btw.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast