Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns are dangerous. Federal AE223BK Kaboom.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Make sure the barrel extension is not cracked, it may not be obvious until you take the barrel out of the upper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've never felt the need to High Pressure test my own bolts! You really are a do-it-yourself kind of guy, huh?

Glad your OK! I'm interested to see how everything fares after inspection, and what Federal has to say!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    I'm glad things didn't go sideways and you're ok bro. Hope you can finagle a new upper out of this.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the delay, after I went through this ammo, to my dismay, it does NOT have a Lake City stamp on the casing. I'll get some pictures here soon.

Something is fishy, as Recob's had informed me lastnight after I spoke to him that this was indeed, "XM193" and not "PD", etc..

And to be clear, Noveske didn't assemble this upper for me, so they have nothing to do w/this situation.

This barrel/upper receiver have a shit ton of rounds through it, all knowing that that little lip had existed. I doubt the receiver feedramps has anything to do w/this situation though based on the amount of rounds i've had through this combo. But ya never know..

Camera sucks, cannot get a good picture of the head stamp.

On the top it is ––––-" F C"

on the bottom it is ––––––" 223 o REM "

while im no ammo buff, that doesn't sound like real 193 to me.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 04-25-09 at 14:28.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    FC is Federal Cartridge. There is a slight chance that you had a headspace issue since you have said that there are a shit ton of rounds through the upper and barrel. I would clean the weapon and see if you can get a headspace gage and check it.

That being said it is more than likely an ammo problem. Like I said ANY ammo can have issues. Military ammo gets reclassed quite frequently due to malfunctions or related issues.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    What usually happens in cases like this? Does the Ammo manufacturer pay to rebuild the upper? Do they send it off to a third party to determine what went wrong? Does it depend on manufacturer what kind of service you get?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    FC is Federal Cartridge. There is a slight chance that you had a headspace issue since you have said that there are a shit ton of rounds through the upper and barrel. I would clean the weapon and see if you can get a headspace gage and check it.
    Roger, will report back on the results.

That being said it is more than likely an ammo problem. Like I said ANY ammo can have issues. Military ammo gets reclassed quite frequently due to malfunctions or related issues.

Agreed that any ammo can have issues, if I can come out of this with a still decently used barrel and just have to up the cost of a new bolt, i'll be extremely happy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Derek,

Glad you're alright brother.

Keep us updated on the status of everything.

Will be interesting to hear what the ammo manufacturer has to say.

Feedback Score
    Lake City XM193 has the heat marking where the brass necks down, at least all the Federal XM193 and white box Lake City XM193 I have does. Why does that not have the typical heat discolor I'm used to seeing?

Just to admit, I do not know what the heat mark is from or why it is there, I just know I see it evertime I open my ammo. When I look at the picture a few posts up, I instantly noticed that the brass is a constant color and not the same as what I am used to holding/seeing.

Larry
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear you're okay and let's hope it's just the bolt that's screwed. Keep us posted.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast