Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns are dangerous. Federal AE223BK Kaboom.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Guns are dangerous. Federal AE223BK Kaboom.

Was shooting yesterday at an indoor range. Upper was a 12.5bbl Noveske, with 10k+ rounds already through it. KAC FH, KAC Upper, KAC URX, PMAGs.

I was shooting unsuppressed, semi-auto, with recently purchased XM193 from Recob's Target Shop (found that ammo in the popular ammo finding thread).

I was on approximately round 20-23 of a full 30 round magazine, and I pulled the trigger and felt an extreme GUSH of air on my chest/abdomen/legs. The magazine was literally SHOT out of my magwell, and the bolt was stuck.

The Upper came off the lower with ease, we eventually were able to remove the BCG out of the upper, the case was stuck to the extractor. The most unfortunate part was that half of the case is still stuck in the chamber.

No injuries, no blood, just a little dirtier than usual From what I've been told, this will be an easy fix.

To Summarize, after the kaboom, this is what seems have survived:

Bolt Carrier
    Upper
    Lower
    Pmag
    Bolt

What didn't survive:
    Extract has been bent
    o-ring blown in half

Will be calling Federal on Monday to see how to handle the rest of the ammo.

Here are some shitty pictures, im no photographer:

Upper Used:

BCG Used:

Bolt:

You can still see half of the case stuck in the chamber:

Bent extractor:

Ruptured Case:

Last edited by Derek_Connor; 04-26-09 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    I'm now a little less happy about the 2000 rounds of XM193 I ordered last week. :x

I hope that this is one time thing, and that you're alright.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow. Glad you're okay.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Unhappy

Dittos on the "OK physically" part! Is that a recent batch of the 'black box' 193's? I've bought a few rounds of it recently, with the intentions of testing it. Now I'M not so sure...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this. I'm glad that you weren't injured. Have you examined the length of the barrel for any abnormalities? Did the round before the kaboom display any difference in recoil/muzzle blast/function? That is, do you think it could have been a squib?

Any chance you have a friend with a better camera who could take some better close-up shots of the case head? Also, can you post the lot number of the XM193 involved?

Thanks,

Molon
    Last edited by Molon; 04-25-09 at 09:39.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I'm glad that you weren't injured. Have you examined the length of the barrel for any abnormalities? Did the round before the kaboom display any difference in recoil/muzzle blast/function? That is, do you think it could have been a squib?

Any chance you have a friend with a better camera who could take some better close-up shots of the case head? Also, can you post the lot number of the XM193 involved?

Thanks,

Molon

Molon,

Good questions - I did no more than a bore scope after the incident, couldn't find anything "out of the norm"

Now that you ask, I do remember the couple of rounds before that having less recoil? But I also remember readjusting my feet as well for a wider stance (lanes are small in this range) so it could have been just myself feeling more stable? Hard to say with any certainty.

I'll get some better pictures of the ammo and case head..

Feedback Score
    Can you post the lot number of the ammo?

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the delay, after I went through this ammo, to my dismay, it does NOT have a Lake City stamp on the casing. I'll get some pictures here soon.

Something is fishy, as Recob's had informed me lastnight after I spoke to him that this was indeed, "XM193" and not "PD", etc..

And to be clear, Noveske didn't assemble this upper for me, so they have nothing to do w/this situation.

This barrel/upper receiver have a shit ton of rounds through it, all knowing that that little lip had existed. I doubt the receiver feedramps has anything to do w/this situation though based on the amount of rounds i've had through this combo. But ya never know..

Camera sucks, cannot get a good picture of the head stamp.

On the top it is ––––-" F C"

on the bottom it is ––––––" 223 o REM "

while im no ammo buff, that doesn't sound like real 193 to me.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 04-25-09 at 14:28.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Any ammo can malfunction and have problems. The issue is when it starts to happen with frequency.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Indeed, I am glad you were not harmed!

Are you planning on reusing the bolt? Relegating it to spare status? Or letting someone do NDI testing on it?

The geek in me would be very interested in having someone like Ned Christiansen look over the bolt and inspect the chamber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast