Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns are dangerous. Federal AE223BK Kaboom.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    The bolt and barrel or at least the barrel extension should not be used again, whether or not there are visible cracks. Both are pretty marginal to start with-- I mean, they are not exactly overbuilt.

I know it hurts to give up a Noveske barrel. I suppose you could have another barrel extension put on it but barrel extensions are a little scarcer and 'spensiver now, plus the labor getting it oriented right and all.... and since the barrel already has a sh'load of rounds through it...... I think it's barrel-o'clock.

And you can get that feedramp thing taken care of at the same time
    We are lucky to have you on the forum. Good stuff, Ned.

Feedback Score
    Glad your ok, I have had one kaboom and it scared the shit out of me! Just to be shure what I read, it was reloaded ammo and not xm 193 right?

By the way not related, but your bolt looks dry as heck. Did you clean it after the kaboom?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are scattered reports of some hot recent production XM193 out and about. Two weeks ago, one case was popping primers...in a known-good 5.56 chamber. Others reported shooting older stuff, then switching to the newer, and finding a palpable difference in report.

In the past, XM193 has shown excessive pressures with enough consistency to warrant warnings from some noteworthies. "Nearly a proof load in every box" was a description offered up.

Caveat emptor. It's _X_M193 for a reason.

All that being said, those rounds like odd. In umpteen thousand, I've never seen an XM193 that wasn't obviously annealed, be it XM193/PD/F/etc.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-26-09 at 00:16.

Feedback Score
    +1 for being ok!

Feedback Score
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by 8200rpm; 04-26-09 at 01:36.

Feedback Score
    Yowza glad all is ok with your body parts. The brass does not appear to be annealed but it may be the pics?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    To Summarize, after the kaboom, this is what seems have survived:

Bolt Carrier
    Upper
    Lower
    Pmag
    Bolt
    Hell, I just think it's awesome that a Pmag survived a kB. Most mags involved in a kB wind up looking like a smashed slinky surrounded by rounds and a flattened beer can stuck in the magwell.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    To clear some things up, and finalize what ammo this is, it is not XM193.

When I purchased this ammo from Recob's, the part # being "XM-193" was what I was basing my purchase off of. My discussion with Recob's 2 evenings ago, he was under the assumption this was real XM-193.

Whether this is an honest mistake or not, I am not sure. But if his website would have had it in big black letters "AE223 RELOADED AMMO" I would have skipped out on buying this ammo.

But this ammo, after simple research, is:

AE223BK
    223 REM
    55 GR METAL CASE
    AMERICAN EAGLE RIFLE CARTRIDGES

LOT # 357Z470

And after hearing Todd K @ Noveske and Ned C of Michiguns both post concerns about the bbl extension, I'll take that as a clue.

Oh well - it is what it is. Being stupid is not advantageous.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 04-26-09 at 06:24.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Derek,

Glad your ok. I know the feeling, I had a Georgia Arms .308 round KB on me once and it sucked ass picking bits of primer out of my face with tweezers.

With the ammo shortage, I check any ammo I buy closely. I would not put it past any dealer to take remanufacturered ammo and repack it into a box like the Federal XM193 box. Lack of annealing is a deal give away.

***Also, when you get your new bolt, ditch the rifle extractor spring and blue insert and go with the 5 coil spring with the black insert.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    Derek,

Glad your ok. I know the feeling, I had a Georgia Arms .308 round KB on me once and it sucked ass picking bits of primer out of my face with tweezers.

With the ammo shortage, I check any ammo I buy closely. I would not put it past any dealer to take remanufacturered ammo and repack it into a box like the Federal XM193 box. Lack of annealing is a deal give away.

***Also, when you get your new bolt, ditch the rifle extractor spring and blue insert and go with the 5 coil spring with the black insert.
    Thanks Hootie. I do agree, my "inspection" was that I looked at the brass and it looked new. That is as far as I went.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, how Recob's and/or Federal replies. And this particular firearm was insured from theft/fire/and damage.

So hopefully one of those three COA will pay off..

ETA: Initial confirmation from TOS states that this AE223BK is FACTORY AMMO. Not reloads.

If thats the case, Recob's is not @ Fault. I'll be going straight to federal on this..
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 04-26-09 at 07:52.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast