Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns are dangerous. Federal AE223BK Kaboom.

Feedback Score
    I look forward to seeing how the rest of this unfolds. Glad you are ok.

A helpful hint for taking detailed pictures of up-close objects is to use the "Macro" setting on your camera. Most modern digital cameras offer this setting and it is usually depicted by a flower icon. If you still have trouble locating it then google Macro and your camera model # to find how to enable the setting or if your camera has it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thetallengineer View Post
    I look forward to seeing how the rest of this unfolds. Glad you are ok.

A helpful hint for taking detailed pictures of up-close objects is to use the "Macro" setting on your camera. Most modern digital cameras offer this setting and it is usually depicted by a flower icon. If you still have trouble locating it then google Macro and your camera model # to find how to enable the setting or if your camera has it.

Thanks man.

I actually have a nice Digi SLR that I leant to an old friend, and I am still waiting for him to be done w/it

My only backup is the wife's that she bought in UAE, 'nuff said. POS.

Feedback Score
    Derek,

Glad to hear you are ok.

As someone with 10+ years of reloading experience and lots and lots of that with 223 I'd have to say from what I see on the picture of the ammo that you posted is reloaded ammo.

In that picture I count 5 different rounds with case dings on the body. Those dings are all classic ejection dings.

I'd suggest inspecting any of that you have left and looking closely at the cases and check for dents, I'd bet you see more of them.

Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Federal loads, not reloads AE 223.
    Federal owes you nothing. The person who defrauded you owes your restitution.
    Federal should remit no less than the fair market value of the gun.

In past examples, they replaced them with new, and with ammo as well.

And to my knowledge, Federal never loose packs AE .223.
    AE223 and XM193 are both bulk packed in 1k round cases, sold at retail, and can be commonly found.

The dings in the cases occur during shipping and aren't anything unusual in ammo so packaged.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Blearg, just checked my stash and ive got over 1k rounds of that exact stuff ready to be used in my next class.

I guess i cant fear the unknown so i might as well run it or am i asking to get burned? Earg.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This whole thing reeks. Loose packed "XM193" in AE .223 Rem brass? Um, WTF? That sounds really fishy to me.

Have you pulled the projo on one of these to see if it a real M193 and it has the tar ball sealant? Are the primers crimped/sealed? Perhaps Molon or someone else up on propellant ID can tell you what type of power is in it.

It sound to me like this is 1k of once fired .223 AE re-loaded to M193'ish specs, ergo, someone ripped you off. I would talk to a lawyer, seriously.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It doesn't sound like reloads at all.

It sounds like his dealer didn't know the difference in product, or didn't pay attention in shipping. The packaging for the bulk-packed XM193 and AE223 is virtually identical. Some folks don't know the difference. Some will ship you one when the other is out of stock. Two vendors I use list XM193 and AE223 as the same line item, and the customer needs to specify what he wants.

Give the dealer a smack.

Tell Federal their ammo failed and to make it right.

Drive on.

Way too much conspiracy theory here.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-26-09 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    It doesn't sound like reloads at all.

It sounds like his dealer didn't know the difference in product, or didn't pay attention in shipping. The packaging for the bulk-packed XM193 and AE223 is virtually identical. Some folks don't know the difference. Some will ship you one when the other is out of stock. Two vendors I use list XM193 and AE223 as the same line item, and the customer needs to specify what he wants.

Give the dealer a smack.

Tell Federal their ammo failed and to make it right.

Drive on.

Way too much conspiracy theory here.
    Huh, I guess I've just never seen nor heard of Federal selling their .223/5.56 in "bulk bags" like that. I'll take your word for it though.

Given that perceived F-up on the dealer's end what your saying seems entirely plausible.

ETA: OK that conspiracy remark is a little uncalled for here Sir. I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy theory, as in I seriously doubt someone intentionally sold Derek some bum ammo with the intent to cause him harm. I would not however (especially in this day and age of panic buying and hoarding) put it past some crooked MF'er to pull some crap where they sell home rolled reloads with little or no QA/QC as new name brand ammo.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 04-26-09 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A little clarification here. His ammo in question is Federal AE (American Eagle) .223 ammo. It is not Remington brass. It is stamped FC= Federal Cartridge and at the bottom is marked .223 Rem. That is common with most .223 ammo since the real name is .223 Remington.

At this point blaming the ammo is a bit premature. Yes, it could have been faulty ammo. But, he also indicated that the upper had 10K rounds through it. There may well have been a headspace issue here or a combination of the two.

Again, ANY AMMUNITION that you have can malfunction and cause a situation like this. Just like bad QA/QC can allow a crappy weapon to roll off the line and end up on the dealers shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    This whole thing reeks. Loose packed "XM193" in AE .223 Rem brass? Um, WTF? That sounds really fishy to me.

Have you pulled the projo on one of these to see if it a real M193 and it has the tar ball sealant? Are the primers crimped/sealed? Perhaps Molon or someone else up on propellant ID can tell you what type of power is in it.

It sound to me like this is 1k of once fired .223 AE re-loaded to M193'ish specs, ergo, someone ripped you off. I would talk to a lawyer, seriously.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    From looking at the picture of the case rim section, it appears that there is a "bulge" above the rim. This might indicate that the weapon fired "WAY" out of battery. Can anyone comment on this? Why would the case have "bulged there?

Until that day,
    Darkop

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast