Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 CAN owners ~ Do it again? Yes or No?

Feedback Score
    What setup will you be putting it on? Very few silencers will be hearing safe (below 140dB) metered at the shooters ear even on a 16" AR. No silencer is hearing safe at the shooters ear on a sub 12.5" AR-15.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shark31 View Post
    What setup will you be putting it on? Very few silencers will be hearing safe (below 140dB) metered at the shooters ear even on a 16" AR. No silencer is hearing safe at the shooters ear on a sub 12.5" AR-15.
    Absolutely. And just because your ears aren't bleeding doesn't mean permanent damage isn't occurring. I don't want to be one of those old codgers that can't hear shit because of cumulative hearing loss. My ears ring all the time already because I was an idiot in college and listened to tons of live music without earpro.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Absolutely. And just because your ears aren't bleeding doesn't mean permanent damage isn't occurring. I don't want to be one of those old codgers that can't hear shit because of cumulative hearing loss. My ears ring all the time already because I was an idiot in college and listened to tons of live music without earpro.
    Shit! I accidentally fired a round out of my 11.5" with my muffs hiked up on my head Saturday night. YOWZA!! I thought the gun blew up for a split second there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hmmmm I wonder if the LMT 12" Piston upper would work with an AAC SPR? If so, maybe that would be a good setup??

I was going to get another 10.5" LMT upper (sold my last 10.5 upper) but I am really thinking about the Piston upper because of this talk of blowback and filth.

Feedback Score
    Before you think the piston upper is a fix for the blowback you need to know allot of the gasses and filth come from the chamber. I was looking into one for the same reason but found out about it not really helping much. Also some ammo is worse than others. Wolf will nearly put tears in my eyes if i shoot much.

My barrel is a 12" but a Noveske so if you want me to take a couple rough measurments i can. That way you will have a better idea if the SPR will fit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkexp98 View Post
    Before you think the piston upper is a fix for the blowback you need to know allot of the gasses and filth come from the chamber. I was looking into one for the same reason but found out about it not really helping much. Also some ammo is worse than others. Wolf will nearly put tears in my eyes if i shoot much.

My barrel is a 12" but a Noveske so if you want me to take a couple rough measurments i can. That way you will have a better idea if the SPR will fit.

Yeah it would be nice to know if it would work on the 12" Noveske too. My 10.5 was a Noveske bbl on a LaRue Stealth upper... I know, I should have kept it!

Anyway, I shot a bit of wolf through it and it didn't bother me, even being a Lefty... but I hear that with a can... the blowback crap is much worse. Its funny cuz some vids on youtube show crap lowin back and some don't! I guess the 762 cans are supposed to help too.. but I wonder how much louder they would be then!?

I'm not sure what to do yet. I think I DO want a can for the AR though.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Should we post put up our multiple 5.56 cans to push you over the edge? That's what did it for me for my first NFA purchase. Looking at all the NFA picture threads lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCASgt New River View Post
    +1 to Connor.

Anything larger either 5.56 or 7.62 rounds will still require hearing pro so why bother?
    Meh. My Gemtech TPR-S on a 20" .308 Remington is perfectly comfortable to shoot with no earpro using full-power match rounds. Per Paulson's figures (IIRC) a 20" .308 is about 164dB, and as a rough guess, the TPR-S reduces that around 26dB.

Feedback Score
    Maybe Silvers can will get on here a confirm but the SPR reflexes back over the barrel 2" so the 12" may or may not work depending upon your FSB/Gas block setup. I was considering one, which helped drive my decision to go with a 12.5" SBR barrel and a standard FSB.

Feedback Score
    Found it. You need 2.49" of barrel from the muzzle -back for the SPR mount to fit on the barrel. See here:
    http://www.aacblog.com/?p=2019

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast