Thread: Diff b/w M193 and M855

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Diff b/w M193 and M855

NOObie here. What are the differences b/w M193 and the green tipped M855?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    193 is a 55 grain FMJ projectile. 855 is a 62 grain FMJ with a steel penetrator core.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

M855

What applications are the M855 used for? Barrier penetration?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If I remember correctly, it was intended to punch through cold-war generation (primitive) Russian helmets and armor as they were marching across Eastern Europe. I don't think it's a terribly effective round after passing through intermediate barriers like auto glass/bodies and structures.

Honestly there are guys here much more versed in the differences between the rounds and their operational uses and limitations....hopefully they'll be along shortly to lay it all out for you.

If you're shopping and deciding what to buy, I'd recommend whichever you get a better deal on. Right now I've been seeing the M855 stuff go for ridiculous prices and there's not much about it that justifies the premium, from a civilian standpoint. For a short-barreled rifle, like the 6933 you've got coming, a heavier round like 75 grain Hornady TAP or similiar will likely give you the best terminal performance.

There's a lot of info from the experts on these issues in the terminal ballistics subforum here. Linke Link
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    M855 really doesn't offer up much improved penetration on most things I've tried... (steel armor, auto glass, etc)

Like I always post.. what you get with real M855 is high quality production ammo. It doesn't do anything magical.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just curious.....how does M855 with steel do on paper compared to conventional pills.

I know my 75gr Hornady's and 77 Sierras are super tight, but they are supposed to be. Does the steel in the M855 give up any 'significant' accuracy to sacrifice it's penetration application??

I've never even tested the stuff on the bench in my varminter.....just the off hand type shooting in the M4.

I assume it has military standards but was wondering if it can hold it's own against the br type pills.

Sorry....bored.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It does OK. I've never checked the run out on a real M855 round. I may do that next time I get a chance.

I've heard Marines complain about getting random flyers when they're qualifying. Some blame the possibility of the penetrator not being perfectly concentric for the marginal accuracy of M855. It's possible.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It does OK. I've never checked the run out on a real M855 round. I may do that next time I get a chance.

I've heard Marines complain about getting random flyers when they're qualifying. Some blame the possibility of the penetrator not being perfectly concentric for the marginal accuracy of M855. It's possible.

........the steel not being centered is what I would think would cause issues Mark.

My les Bear varmint shoots everything well but I've never shot anything under 64gr Rangers in it. I Would like to see how it does with the M855 out of curiosity, but it's not marked 5.56 although I'm guessing it's stout enough.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2: