Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Widener's got a bunch of ammo today.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was thinking about ordering a case of M193 but by the time I decided to do it, they were out so I got the 75gr Match instead.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Damn that Federal and PPU sold out quick! Someone here did a write up about the PPU 75gr. ammo and it got high marks. I bought a case just to see what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    I was thinking about ordering a case of M193 but by the time I decided to do it, they were out so I got the 75gr Match instead.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Boy I got excited when I saw this thread...dreams of M193 ruined, shattered...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I bought 2k of Wolf 9mm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I posted it in the main but it got moved here.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon
    100 Yard Accuracy Evaluation of Prvi Partizan 75 grain Match Ammunition.

The Prvi Partizan 75 grain match ammunition uses an open-tip-match bullet very similar in configuration to Hornady’s 75 grain BTHP bullet used in Hornady’s TAP line of ammunition and in Black Hills’ 75 grain MHP line of ammunition. The Prvi Partizan (PPU) bullet has a nominal length that runs approximately 0.010” – 0.015” shorter than the Hornady bullet. The PPU 75 grain bullet does not have a cannelure, but the case mouth on this load does have a slight collet crimp on it which puts a slight crease in the bullet.

The PPU 75 grain match load uses Boxer primed brass cases and is charged with “ball” powder. Neither the primer nor the case mouth have sealant and the primer is not crimped. Previous chronographing of this load through multiple barrel lengths shows it to run an average of 127 fps slower than the Black Hills 75 grain MHP load.

I have read some statements recently that claim the PPU 75 grain bullet was designed to shoot well through 1:9” twist barrels, yet none of those making these statements have provided any scientific evidence to support this claim. According to the Greenhill formula, the optimal twist for the PPU 75 grain bullet is 1:7.6”.

From a 1:9” twist barrel, the PPU 75 grain match bullet has a gyroscopic stability factor (GSF) of less than 1.25 for all velocities. It is generally accepted that a rifle bullet should have a GSF of 1.5 to 2, with 1.25 being the least acceptable GSF.

Gyroscopc stability factor from a 1:9" twist barrel.

Gyroscopic stability factor from a 1:7.7" twist barrel.

The test-vehicle for this evaluation was an AR-15 with a 24” stainless-steel Kreiger VarMatch barrel, with a 1:7.7” twist, installed on a LaRue Tactical Stealth upper receiver. A Leupold Competition Series Scope was used for sighting. No malfunctions of any kind were experienced during testing.

Following my usual protocol for accuracy evaluation, shooting was done from a bench-rest at 100 yards. Three 10-shot groups were obtained using the PPU 75 grain match load. Those three groups had extreme spreads that measured:

0.66”
    0.92”
    1.14”

for an average extreme spread of 0.91”.

The best 10-shot group from 100 yards.

The three groups from above were overlayd on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to obtain a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius of this composite group was 0.29”. For comparison, this composite group is pictured below next to a composite group of the Black Hills 75 grain red box MHP load as well as a composite group of one of my handloads.

Chronograph Data for Prvi Partizan 75 grain Match Ammunition

Chronograph data was obtained using an Oehler 35-P with "proof screen" technology. All velocities listed are muzzle velocities as calculated from instrumental velocities using Oehler's Ballistic Explorer. All strings of fire consisted of 10 shots each.

Three different barrel lengths were used in testing: 20", 16" and 14.5". All barrels were of Colt manufacture, with chrome lining, NATO chambers and 1:7" twists.

atmospheric conditions:

Average temperature- 83 degrees F
    Humidity - 64%
    Barometric pressure – 30.04
    Elevation- 960 feet above sea level

Prvi Partizan 75 grain Match; Velocity Update

Here's a little update on the velocity aspect of the PPU 75 grain Match load. One can't help but wonder if Prvi Partizan has been listening to its customers. About the only complaint anyone has had with this load is that it has a lower muzzle velocity than the Hornady or Black Hills 75 grain loads. I recently chronographed the latest lot of the PPU 75 grain Match load that I have on hand and from a 20" Colt A2 barrel it is running approximately 117 fps faster than the original lots of this ammo that I chronographed!

Last edited by johnson; 04-29-09 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    I was at a gun shop in Melbourne, Florida a couple weeks ago, and they had a wall full of Federal XM193 cases. I think they wanted $550 per 1000, don't quote me. Ah, a yellow pages search found it as Action Gun Outfitters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12