Thread: Buying a Colt 6921 or other SBR Lower...

Feedback Score

Buying a Colt 6921 or other SBR Lower...

Gentlemen,
    There is one NFA bit of info that I have yet to fully understand, and so I turn to you NFA junkies for the answers once again.
    If I were to purchase this 6921 lower receiver shown below, (or ANY other lower receiver, which is already/previously registered as an SBR), HOW does this generally work, and what is DIFFERENT about the transaction, versus buying a standard (NON NFA) lower receiver??? I mean, I have seen Grant on this forum, selling what he referred to as something like "Pre-registered LMT 10.5" Complete SBRs), or something to that affect, but I never understood what was different about the transaction.
    Here is the Colt 6921 I was looking at as an example. I am thinking, that based on the high price, it MIGHT have a $200 tax stamp BUILT INTO it's price? More on that below, in my specific questions: http://www.usautoweapons.com/pgs/ShowItem.php?ID=10031

Specific questions I need answered:

1. Is a $200 tax stamp STILL paid by someone, on such lowers? If so, then is the $200 tax stamp just "built into" the price of such lowers?
    OR, is a $200 tax stamp never due, since there was no "TRUST", or FORM 4(or whatever number it is) filed????

2. Does such a lower already have any NFA/SBR info engraved on it? If not, then must I still put any engraving on it when I receive it myself???

3. What exactly do you refer to this process as? I mean, is this just referred to ask "buying a pre-registered SBR lower"????

I'm still searching for threads/info on this subject. Haven't found all these answers yet. Anyone with a link to such a thread would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm just looking for any and all info, and differences between purchasing a standard lower and SBRing it, versus buying a lower like the one above, which, for now, I'll refer to as a "pre-registered" SBR lower. (and I may just be dead wrong on that nomenclature, but hey, that's why I'm here researching the subject)...
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Gentlemen,
    There is one NFA bit of info that I have yet to fully understand, and so I turn to you NFA junkies for the answers once again.
    If I were to purchase this 6921 lower receiver shown below, (or ANY other lower receiver, which is already/previously registered as an SBR), HOW does this generally work, and what is DIFFERENT about the transaction, versus buying a standard (NON NFA) lower receiver??? I mean, I have seen Grant on this forum, selling what he referred to as something like "Pre-registered LMT 10.5" Complete SBRs), or something to that affect, but I never understood what was different about the transaction.
    Here is the Colt 6921 I was looking at as an example. I am thinking, that based on the high price, it MIGHT have a $200 tax stamp BUILT INTO it's price? More on that below, in my specific questions: http://www.usautoweapons.com/pgs/ShowItem.php?ID=10031

Specific questions I need answered:

1. Is a $200 tax stamp STILL paid by someone, on such lowers? If so, then is the $200 tax stamp just "built into" the price of such lowers?
    OR, is a $200 tax stamp never due, since there was no "TRUST", or FORM 4(or whatever number it is) filed????

Yes, you still pay a $200 tax. A "factory" SBR (such as the 6921) is transfered on a Form 4, just like a suppressor or MG. That is how it differs from a non-SBR lower. If the dealer you are purchasing the factory SBR lower/suppressor/MG from is out of state, have the out of state dealer transfer the item to your in state class 3 dealer.

Once the item is at your in state class 3 dealer, you fill out a Form 4 and submit it to the ATF. The item will remain at your in state class 3 dealer until your Form 4 is approved. Once the Form 4 is approved, you go pick up the item from your in state class 3 dealer, and enjoy.

2. Does such a lower already have any NFA/SBR info engraved on it? If not, then must I still put any engraving on it when I receive it myself???

No, and this is why some people prefer buying a "factory" SBR lower. Since the lower is already an NFA item from the factory, the manufacturers name, city, and state are already marked on the lower. Hence, you do not need to add any of your personal info, since you are not the "maker".

This is preferred by some because if you ever decide to sell the lower, your personal/trust info isn't engraved in the lower.

3. What exactly do you refer to this process as? I mean, is this just referred to ask "buying a pre-registered SBR lower"????

I would call it buying a factory SBR.

I'm still searching for threads/info on this subject. Haven't found all these answers yet. Anyone with a link to such a thread would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm just looking for any and all info, and differences between purchasing a standard lower and SBRing it, versus buying a lower like the one above, which, for now, I'll refer to as a "pre-registered" SBR lower. (and I may just be dead wrong on that nomenclature, but hey, that's why I'm here researching the subject)...

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.
    Additionally, I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV.
    Just relaying from my experience of transferring a suppressor (which as stated above is the same process as transferring a factory SBR).

**EDIT** I just read the description on the link you provided. From the link.....
    "Here is your chance to own an M4LE marked lower receiver without having to go through the NFA process. Purchase of this receiver does not require a tax stamp. You purchase it the same as any other long gun. Please use "Contact Us" above to get any questions you may have answered".

I see why you might be confused here. The only way you can (legally) purchase a 6921 lower receiver without going through the NFA process (Form 4) is if the lower has been removed from the NFA registry (basically un-registering it, so it becomes a non-NFA lower). It appears usautoweapons has done this, but I would contact them first.

If they have removed the 6921 lower from the NFA registry (creating a non-NFA lower) then this basically defeats your purpose of buying a factory SBR.
    Last edited by FR0GMAN; 05-09-09 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Frogman, and no, I actually had not seen that, but I did already know that IF they have removed it from the NFA "registry?" then, it can be sold as a NON NFA item, but thanks for making sure I was aware of that.

Anyhow, I suppose I was just wondering what the difference was between buying a "Factory SBR", and a regular lower, and SBRing it myself.
    It seems that the same ATF/NFA "wait time" is still mandatory, and apparently there is NO WAY to purchase an SBR in any way, and walk right out the door with it, without some kind of "wait time". (weeks, months/etc) - This IS correct, RIGHT?

Finally, it seems that the MAIN difference between a Factory SBR, and SBRing an existing lower, would be the engraving issue. IOW's, the only real reason to buy a Factory SBR, would be to avoid having to have the lower engraved with my personal info.
    That sounds good to me, and I would MUCH PREFER this over SBRing an existing lower.
    Thanks for clearing things up for me FROGMAN.

I suppose a final question I would ask, would be in regards to "Trust" vs the "Local Sherriff Signoff" method.
    I mean, IF I buy a factory SBR, and have it shipped to my local FFL, then do I still have the option of going with either a "Trust" or the "Local Sherriff Signoff Method"???
    I always wanted to do the TRUST, to AVOID having to deal with the local Sherriff, who is known to be a PIA, even though he has approved some NFA items for some guys.
    Is there a way to purchase this "Factory SBR" we have been talking about, and still use the TRUST method? (or IOW's, can I still AVOID having to get the local Sherriff to sign off on this Factory SBR????)

Just trying to determine IF the "Trust" vs "Local Sherrif Signoff" is still a decision I make, when purchasing a "Factory SBR"????
    Thanks FROGMAN. You have been VERY helpful.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes, the issue of trust vs. individual purchase is the same no matter what NFA item you're buying. You can have SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, machine guns, etc. on a trust.

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a factory SBR using a trust. Right now, I've purchased the gun, and it is being transferred from the out-of-state dealer to my local NFA guy. This Monday will make 3 weeks of waiting on that Once it arrives, I'll then have to wait for it to transfer to me (my trust).
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Thanks Frogman, and no, I actually had not seen that, but I did already know that IF they have removed it from the NFA "registry?" then, it can be sold as a NON NFA item, but thanks for making sure I was aware of that.

Anyhow, I suppose I was just wondering what the difference was between buying a "Factory SBR", and a regular lower, and SBRing it myself.

The main difference is the form used, and the process.

For a factory SBR, a Form 4 is used, and the process is what I described in my last post.....(item transferred to in state class 3 dealer.... send Form 4 to ATF, while item remains at in state class 3 dealer.... Form 4 is approved.... pick up item at in state class 3 dealer)

For a regular lower, and SBRing it yourself, a Form 1 is used and no dealer is necessary. Assuming you have the regular lower in hand.... this is how some have recommended you complete the process...
    Have your lower engraved with your personal/trust info (first name, last name, city, state). Doing this step first helps ensure the engraving is correct before sending in your paperwork. Next, fill out a Form 1 and send it to the ATF. Upon approval, purchase your SBR upper. Some people have purchased their SBR upper prior to receiving their approved Form 1 and kept the upper and lower at separate addresses.

It seems that the same ATF/NFA "wait time" is still mandatory, and apparently there is NO WAY to purchase an SBR in any way, and walk right out the door with it, without some kind of "wait time". (weeks, months/etc) - This IS correct, RIGHT?

That is correct.

Finally, it seems that the MAIN difference between a Factory SBR, and SBRing an existing lower, would be the engraving issue. IOW's, the only real reason to buy a Factory SBR, would be to avoid having to have the lower engraved with my personal info.

Correct.

That sounds good to me, and I would MUCH PREFER this over SBRing an existing lower.
    Thanks for clearing things up for me FROGMAN.

I suppose a final question I would ask, would be in regards to "Trust" vs the "Local Sherriff Signoff" method.
    I mean, IF I buy a factory SBR, and have it shipped to my local FFL, then do I still have the option of going with either a "Trust" or the "Local Sherriff Signoff Method"???

Yes. Just as you have the option to go with a trust or individual (sheriff sign off) if you were transferring a suppressor or MG.

I always wanted to do the TRUST, to AVOID having to deal with the local Sherriff, who is known to be a PIA, even though he has approved some NFA items for some guys.

Not to mention the other added benefits of having your NFA items in a trust.

Is there a way to purchase this "Factory SBR" we have been talking about, and still use the TRUST method? (or IOW's, can I still AVOID having to get the local Sherriff to sign off on this Factory SBR????)

Yes, you can purchase the factory SBR and fill out the Form 4 with your trust info.

Just trying to determine IF the "Trust" vs "Local Sherrif Signoff" is still a decision I make, when purchasing a "Factory SBR"????
    Thanks FROGMAN. You have been VERY helpful.
    You're welcome. Glad I could help!
    Once again I am not an attorney.
    I am speaking from my experience with successful Form 4 and Form 1 transfers using my trust.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by FR0GMAN; 05-09-09 at 22:23.