Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: springer mil-spec concern

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

springer mil-spec concern

my springer mil-spec which has always eaten all new and factory remanufactured ammo like candy, was jamming(failing to return to battery) on these questionable, seemingly underpowered reloads I was using. Not only did they seem quite underpowered compared to the winchester hollowpoints I used, many of them had small to moderate amounts of rust on the brass shell. On top of that, it seemed like on a fair amount, the shells were bulging. Although I would like it to eat ALL ammo indescriminately, I have to ask myself if I shouldnt worry about it not eating these reloads. i didnt think I was limp wristing, but Im not sure. Do underpowered rounds make a difference??? what about a new recoil spring??(i have maye 1500-2000 rounds through it, and i also walk around the house racking the slide quite a bit) Or should just not worry about it. Like I said, it eats ultramax LRNs and winchester white box hollowpoints like candy. Also, even if the consensus is that the reloads are a no go, would it not be a bad idea to maybe throw in a wolf 18.5# spring or something along those lines?? BTW my feedramp is as smooth and polished as can be, so I dont think that is it. In case you could not already tell, I am anal about my guns running flawless
    Thanks for any input

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Personally, I am much more worried about my gun not shooting factory ammo than some reloads with a questionable past.

If they're bulged I wouldn't shoot them at all. Strip them and reuse what you can to make decent reloads, in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
    Personally, I am much more worried about my gun not shooting factory ammo than some reloads with a questionable past.

If they're bulged I wouldn't shoot them at all. Strip them and reuse what you can to make decent reloads, in my opinion.
    Actually, they were given to me. I dont have access to reloading equipment. A friend of my uncles just gave them to him, and he gave them to me...maybe he gave them to my uncle for a reason???
    Last edited by flyboy1788; 04-29-09 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    Reloads from a friend of a relative that show signs of being out of spec are not anything I would run through my pistol.

I've had a pistol come apart in my hand before, it is something I don't want to repeat. I don't have anything against reloads. I shoot about 90% reloads and 10% factory ammo through all my guns.

These reloads are giving you a "clue" that they shouldn't be shot in your pistol. Listen to them and get rid of them so you are not temped to continue shooting them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1788 View Post
    Thanks for any input
    Please use paragraphs.

M_P

Feedback Score
    No offence, but I would not use reloads that came to me "third hand", even if they "looked" great. Third hand and ratty looking too, no way. Listen to your gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Perhaps I will get rid of them then....But free ammo is SO tempting, but not worth breaking my gun or getting hurt over I guess.

Feedback Score
    Underpowered rusting bulging reloads; yeah, you probably don't want to trust the loads. Also, with reloads I have to trust the person reloading said rounds. I trust myself and one other person; you have to be really anal about every round when you are reloading.

Also, are these rounds really underpowered or light loads. If you want to shoot light loads and only light loads through your 1911 you should probably look into a lighter recoil spring. I don't think that is the case here. 1500 to 2000 rounds it certainly won't hurt to go ahead and get a new recoil spring. How do your "normal" rounds run? Where is your brass landing? If you say within three feet of me and I can just drop a coffee can down to catch the brass then I would say your current recoil spring is fine.

Feedback Score
    You're anal about your guns running flawless and you would still consider shooting this ammo based on your description of the stuff? I heard an ad on the radio today that sums up your situation succinctly: this is the biggest no brainer in the history of earth. Get rid of the crappy ammo, and since the gun was working just fine with quality ammo, leave it alone and stick to the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1788 View Post
    Perhaps I will get rid of them then....But free ammo is SO tempting, but not worth breaking my gun or getting hurt over I guess.

Feedback Score
    One option with those reloads is to give them to someone who reloads and allow them to tear them apart for components. Bullets and primed cases are valuable right now. They can resize the case without depriming, meter new powder, and reseat the bullet. Perhaps they would be willing to do this in trade for a significant amount of the ammo to keep and shoot themselves?

--usp_fan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast