Thread: Armalite improved bolt design

Feedback Score

Armalite improved bolt design

I was doing some reading and found some of Armalites Technical articles on their improved bolt design that were interesting to me and wondered what the professionals here thought of it.

So whats the general opinion of the Industry Professionals here on Armalites improved bolt design where they relieve the locking lug opposite the extractor to reduce stress at the lugs on each side of the extractor recess?

Any real world advantage to the design in extending bolt life?
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    I'd be curious to read the answers to this question as well. But I don't expect much to come forth since the sample would be pretty small.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I figured I was reaching a bit far,but it is a very interesting topic.... to me anyway.
    I have a couple of Armalite BCG's that Ive pulled out of my new uppers and replaced with LMT units.So I have some vested interest in it overall.
    I can say Ive ran the Armalite bolts for several years and out of three Ive had one fail in a 20" A2 after five years of use,lost count on rounds fired...but it was a perty good amount as this was my 3-gun rifle.The bolt lost the lug above the extractor.That being said Armalite replaced the bolt under warranty to my suprise.Like I said it was well used.
    Anyway,hopefully some of the experts will give some info on the subject.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II