Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My first SBR, as well as my first AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Squished View Post
    If someone can really give me a laundry list of valid reasons why I need to change the rail, I will. Otherwise, the YHM rail works great, fits great, it's not heavy, and it looks good.

Many consider the YHM rail to be more of a second tier part on a build that has a lot of first tier parts.. it seems to stick out. If you like it keep it on there.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If the rail fits your need then keep it. I would say it just depends on what the rifle is used for. I have no personal experience with YHM but I have heard of problems, though not as much as others.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    Took it ot the range yesterday for the first time. Absolutely amazing, shoots flawless. Sounds like a cannon though......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmt-cazy View Post
    i am waiting for my tax stamps, building two SBR, one is 10.5" noveske with silencer for me, and a 7.5" piston for my wife, i got alot of parts at my house, two 7.5" noveske barrels, a 10.5" upper, a Vltor MUR, fail zero bolt carrier and upper..........
    LMT,

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on what does it take to build an SBR? I have a 16" Noveske N4 Light Recce that I shoot with an AAC M4-2k silencer. It's a very nice piece of weaponry, however the silencer adds about 4 inches to the barrel and I'd really like to shorten it. Knowing that I have the 16" N4 allready, how can it be turned into an SBR? Lets say I have a complete 10.5" Shorty upper. Let's say I do my Form 1, do I need to be a gunsmith and licensed to put an SBR upper to my existing Noveske lower ? How hard is it?

I am sorry if my question is too long and please I invite everyone to add their input to my dilemma
    Noveske Light Recce/AAC M4-2000 mod 08
    Noveske 7.5" VLTOR VIS Diplomat
    LWRC 10.5" gas piston upper with Blackout FH
    Walther P22/Tac Quest
    H&K Tactical Compact .45/AAC Evolution 45
    H&K P2000 .40 Duty
    KEL-TEC SU22 Semi Auto .22 rifle/threaded

Next project: Some sort of machine gun...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicKrack View Post
    LMT,

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on what does it take to build an SBR? I have a 16" Noveske N4 Light Recce that I shoot with an AAC M4-2k silencer. It's a very nice piece of weaponry, however the silencer adds about 4 inches to the barrel and I'd really like to shorten it. Knowing that I have the 16" N4 allready, how can it be turned into an SBR? Lets say I have a complete 10.5" Shorty upper. Let's say I do my Form 1, do I need to be a gunsmith and licensed to put an SBR upper to my existing Noveske lower ? How hard is it?

I am sorry if my question is too long and please I invite everyone to add their input to my dilemma
    ok, you don't need to be gunsmith or licensed to put them together, follow is the legal way to do this:
    1) check with your local and state law, make sure your state are allow SBR,
    2)engrave your lower, (your name or trust name or whatever name you use on form 1, city, state), just like Noveske did on your lower.
    3)fill out form 1 and send it to ATF,( is like buying a silencer, the only difference is form 1 not form 4
    4)wait for form 1 to get approve before you get the shorty, is illegal to have a working lower and short barrel upper at the same place without tax stamp.

this is what i do, since i got AK's, i store all my AR at my friend house, and all short barrels & parts at my safe, you can store you short barrel at you friend house, if they do not have a working AR lower.

is easy to install all the AR parts if you got the right tools, since you got the Noveske upper, just buy a short barrel have a gunsmith install it for you, cheaper than buying all the tools to build it youself.

oh, BTW you don't want anything shorter than 10" if it for silencer.
    Last edited by lmt-cazy; 05-20-09 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    LMT,

This was a great write-up, I finally understand the process. Do I have to get the engraving done before the Form 1 goes out? Or that can be done after approval? What is the current wait time on a Form 1 approval if you don't mind?

Engraving:

JOHN DOE, REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST
    ANYPLACE, ANYSTATE

Some like this?

thanks again,

Lev
    Noveske Light Recce/AAC M4-2000 mod 08
    Noveske 7.5" VLTOR VIS Diplomat
    LWRC 10.5" gas piston upper with Blackout FH
    Walther P22/Tac Quest
    H&K Tactical Compact .45/AAC Evolution 45
    H&K P2000 .40 Duty
    KEL-TEC SU22 Semi Auto .22 rifle/threaded

Next project: Some sort of machine gun...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicKrack View Post
    LMT,

This was a great write-up, I finally understand the process. Do I have to get the engraving done before the Form 1 goes out? Or that can be done after approval? What is the current wait time on a Form 1 approval if you don't mind?

Engraving:

JOHN DOE, REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST
    ANYPLACE, ANYSTATE

Some like this?

thanks again,

Lev
    is a good idea to get engrave before, because once is got approved, it become a NFA item, and only the person on your trust can legally handle it, anybody else will get 10 years jail time. and yes, john doe revocable trust, any city, any state

Feedback Score
    and the wait time is 4-5 months

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmt-cazy View Post
    is a good idea to get engrave before, because once is got approved, it become a NFA item, and only the person on your trust can legally handle it, anybody else will get 10 years jail time. and yes, john doe revocable trust, any city, any state
    Not true. You can get it engraved later, you just can't leave it at the engraver.... technically.... Although I wouldn't really care.

People can "handle" NFA items that they don't own. You can't borrow someone's silencer or SBR and take it for the weekend or some such nonsense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not true. You can get it engraved later, you just can't leave it at the engraver.... technically.... Although I wouldn't really care.

People can "handle" NFA items that they don't own. You can't borrow someone's silencer or SBR and take it for the weekend or some such nonsense.
    according to ATF and my lawyer, It is illegal for anyone to have possession of an NFA weapon that is not registered to them in the NFA Registry. in the dictionary possession mean "the act of having and controlling property", you can't even let your friend hold on to or use your NFA item.
    a 07 FFL/ 02 SOT licensed gunsmith can do your engraving or any repair work on your title 2 item, but if they are out of state, than you need ATF approval to send to them, if it got lost in the mail, than kiss your $200 bye bye, plus 4-5 months of your time, is a lot easier to do your engraving before it become a title 2 weapon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast