Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors and Precision Barrels

Feedback Score

Suppressors and Precision Barrels

I continuously read that good suppressors seem to work in favor of greater precision in a rifle. I've only seen this phenomenon once in person, but I've seen an awful lot of pictures and read an awful lot of reports confirming this to think otherwise. However, as far as I know, all of what I've read has been concerning basically rack-grade barrels and some Noveske N4 barrels. Does anyone know if the same phenomenon would be true of attaching a suppressor to a precision rifle barrel?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    I'm gonna try to see how better my rifle shoots with a can on it but I don't think I would consider my rem700 a precision weapon. I definitely enjoy the quietness of subsonic ammo through it BAC i'll let you know when I get back up to my buddies property in PA to zero in my scope.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As I understand it, the weight of the can reduces barrel whip. Thus the gain in accuracy.

I've never thrown my can on a precision set up. But I've seen my groups tighten up quite a bit on my regular barrels.

Feedback Score
    I will not put my suppressors on my personally owned precision rifles because I have experienced damage to the barrel crown on precision rifles at work. A minimal increase in accuracy versus a greater chance of damage to the crown just isn't worth it to me.

Feedback Score
    Could you describe the nature of the damage to the crown on the rifle you used at work, and the can that caused it? I'm wondering if there's a difference between rifles with muzzle devices (brakes, flash hiders, etc.) and those without.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Crud blown back from the suppressor would cause nicks and burrs on the muzzle causing a rifle that typically shot 1.5 MOA to shoot inconsistently 3-5 MOA. It was caused by a Surefire suppressor using a Surefire QD mount.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc51 View Post
    Crud blown back from the suppressor would cause nicks and burrs on the muzzle causing a rifle that typically shot 1.5 MOA to shoot inconsistently 3-5 MOA. It was caused by a Surefire suppressor using a Surefire QD mount.
    Interesting. Anyone else had their crown damaged from suppressor use?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've read of this before. Maybe from usmc51..

It could be an issue with a specific caliber, can/mount design, or ammo selection, or even a specific barrel.

I'm not convince that it would be a problem for every precision set up at this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've read of this before. Maybe from usmc51..

It could be an issue with a specific caliber, can/mount design, or ammo selection, or even a specific barrel.

I'm not convince that it would be a problem for every precision set up at this point.
    You probably read my post under someone's topic about the specific setup a while back. I would not want to mislead anyone into thinking it is a problem with all, or even "many," precision suppressed rifles. It was just my experience that was enough to dissuade me from risking it on my personal precision rifles.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Absolutely. It'd be interesting to post this question in the Sniper forums to see if there's any info available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast