Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SS109 5.56 A.P green tip

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    well just look at it. its 20 years old and looks great. No more worse looking then newer bulk mil spec ammo. I think it well taken care of. I was told it was just sitting in a safe and was kept dry. I shot a little more of it today and it was ok. I also show some brand new pmc and i thought they had about the same kick. And Im glad my rifle is chambered in 5.56 so i can shoot both. but i wont be buying ayt more of that stuff from the same guy.
    Dan@ Valley Center Gun Safety

Feedback Score
    Why is the supposed "M855" ammo not properly packaged in either boxes or on stripper clips if it is truly Lake City manufactured ammo? You sure it is not just reloaded ammo in LC brass?

M855 is in NO way AP ammo...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 05-08-09 at 03:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Why is the supposed "M855" ammo not properly packaged in either boxes or on stripper clips if it is truly Lake City manufactured ammo? You sure it is not just reloaded ammo in LC brass?
    I agree with the good Doctor. I've seen bags of this ammo at just about every gunshow I've ever attended. Usually being sold by dealers who sell reloading components.

Sure, it's LC brass and it's certainly loaded with SS109 projectiles, but I'd bet substantial sums of money most of it wasn't loaded by a Gov't/MIL supplier.

Life is too short to waste time on ammo of questionable origin, IMO.
    Last edited by DRich; 05-08-09 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    when you buy it in bulk do the come loose in an ammo can? And someone just put them in 100 rd. bags for individual sale?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Paul,

In order to be considered M855 it must pass Gov't specifications and be classified. M855 ammo is a classification and SS109 is a characteristic. We have 5.56 ammunition here from Lake City (MILSPEC) as well as ammo from Bulgaria (Arsenal) and Prvi Partizan (Serbia). All of the ammo is marked as SS109, not M855. So generally all of these rounds have the same make up, but only the Lake City ammo is designated M855.

For whatever reason we had large numbers of Prvi Partizan ammunition that would blow primers and fail to extract.
    How long ago was this and do you think prvi has made improvements?? Seems they are trying hard to break into the market and make a name for themselves. Gonna try 2-3 different flavors but i'll be looking at it from a civi point of view. I'll note any failures.

I have 62gr fmj bt, 69gr match and m855 to play with but may be a while as it only 100+ degrees daily down here with minimal range access.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I got some prvi 75gn match the other day and i was pleased. I had no idea they were known for making sub-par ammo

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I believe that the lots in question were from 2004 or 2005. The issues occured here in 2007 and 2008. Could the issues be because the ammo was stored in conex containers where the temps reach 130+ in the summer? Absolutley. Could they have made a bad batch? Sure. But, the fact is once the chambers were reamed on the carbines the issues dropped off dramatically which is why you need to take my post in its entire context.

I too bought some of the 75gr. match ammo having read good things about it. I also have carbines that are all 5.56 chambers as well.

People need to realize that any and every manufacturer of ammo can produce bad lots or at least rounds within that lot. I am going to post a perfect example of that here. This is a NAR (Notice of Ammunition Reclassification) that is sent out to military units. It lists the type of ammo and the lot # as well as a specific reason as to why the ammunition was reclassified. In this case we are talking about Lake City made M855 ammunition, produced in March 2006. In this case the ammunition supplied to the Marines has been ordered to be listed or reclassed as condition code HOTEL which means it is condemned as unserviceable. Want to take a guess about how much ammuntion we are talking about?

A. NAR 0458-2009. A059.
    CARTRIDGE,5.56MM,BALL,M855,CLIPPED,{ALL M855 CTGS IDENTIFIEDBY
    GREEN BULLET TIP}
    LOTS
    LC-06C381-522, WCC06H100-010
    RECLAS MARINE STOCK TO COND CODE HOTEL
    RSN: MALFUNCTION INVESTIGATION COMPLETED/DROPPED PRIMERS
    NOTE: (1) US DEFECT CODE ZAAAZZ
    NOTE: (2) NO KNOWN STORAGE, HANDLING AND/OR
    TRANSPORTATION HAZARD EXIST AS A RESULT
    OF THIS NAR
    THIS NAR SUPERSEDES NAR 0334-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    How long ago was this and do you think prvi has made improvements?? Seems they are trying hard to break into the market and make a name for themselves. Gonna try 2-3 different flavors but i'll be looking at it from a civi point of view. I'll note any failures.

I have 62gr fmj bt, 69gr match and m855 to play with but may be a while as it only 100+ degrees daily down here with minimal range access.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I believe that the lots in question were from 2004 or 2005. The issues occured here in 2007 and 2008. Could the issues be because the ammo was stored in conex containers where the temps reach 130+ in the summer? Absolutley. Could they have made a bad batch? Sure. But, the fact is once the chambers were reamed on the carbines the issues dropped off dramatically which is why you need to take my post in its entire context.

I too bought some of the 75gr. match ammo having read good things about it. I also have carbines that are all 5.56 chambers as well.

People need to realize that any and every manufacturer of ammo can produce bad lots or at least rounds within that lot. I am going to post a perfect example of that here. This is a NAR (Notice of Ammunition Reclassification) that is sent out to military units. It lists the type of ammo and the lot # as well as a specific reason as to why the ammunition was reclassified. In this case we are talking about Lake City made M855 ammunition, produced in March 2006. In this case the ammunition supplied to the Marines has been ordered to be listed or reclassed as condition code HOTEL which means it is condemned as unserviceable. Want to take a guess about how much ammuntion we are talking about?

A. NAR 0458-2009. A059.
    CARTRIDGE,5.56MM,BALL,M855,CLIPPED,{ALL M855 CTGS IDENTIFIEDBY
    GREEN BULLET TIP}
    LOTS
    LC-06C381-522, WCC06H100-010
    RECLAS MARINE STOCK TO COND CODE HOTEL
    RSN: MALFUNCTION INVESTIGATION COMPLETED/DROPPED PRIMERS
    NOTE: (1) US DEFECT CODE ZAAAZZ
    NOTE: (2) NO KNOWN STORAGE, HANDLING AND/OR
    TRANSPORTATION HAZARD EXIST AS A RESULT
    OF THIS NAR
    THIS NAR SUPERSEDES NAR 0334-2008
    Two different lots, CIIC 4, no need to tell quantities .

These two lots are Lake City March 06 and Winchester Ctgs Aug 06
    Last edited by tommyh; 05-09-09 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I was just using the Lake City as an example. But, I think that the point was made. And you don't count because you are apparently an ammo guru . I wasn't going to reveal quantities, but one can figure out that we aren't talking about 1000 or 2000 rounds here.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
    Two different lots, CIIC 4, no need to tell quantities .

These two lots are Lake City March 06 and Winchester Ctgs Aug 06

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123