Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LWRC SBR vs. MSAR Bullpup

Feedback Score

LWRC SBR vs. MSAR Bullpup

This week, we took delivery of our first SBR from LWRC. It was a 10.5in M6A2 model in 5.56mm that was special ordered for a client several months ago. After handling the unit, I started thinking about a few things. Hopefully, you can glean something from my madness.

In my sick and twisted mind, I see a short barrel rifle (SBR) as a specialty weapon-- devoted primarily to CQB operations. It's great for moving around cramped locations or traveling in vehicles, but there's an inherent trade off. It's not firepower. The transition from 9mm to 5.56mm has been widespread. The trade off is accuracy-- specifically long range accuracy. It seems that an SBR is great for CQB, but equally inept for engaging targets at 300 meters and beyond. Perhaps that's one of the many reasons the M4 carbine is so beloved by all. 14.7 inches is a perfect bridge between SBR and a full 20+ inch barreled battle rifle. But are we overlooking a potentially superior option?

Enter my good friend: the bull pup rifle. Most of you know I'm quite fond of my new MSAR STG-556-- a clone of the famous Steyr AUG. However, it was only yesterday when I had an epiphany in regards to its true capabilities! Ladies and Gentlemen, this IS the poor man's SBR! But it does so much more! It bridges the gap between patrol carbine and short barrel rifle.

Immediately, you can see the overall length of these rifles are about the same. The caliber (5.56mm NATO) and capacity are also the same. The weight is about the same. They're both piston-driven systems, so reliability is above par. However, the bullpup design has a higher muzzle velocity and better accuracy at longer ranges-- thanks to its full carbine length barrel (16in). When you look at the cost of ownership, the STG-556 shines even brighter.

An LWRC M6A2 in this exact configuration is $2155. You have to factor in a $200 tax stamp to register as a Class 3/NFA weapon with BATFE and another fee (usually around $50) for your dealer to process the paperwork. Then, there's the long wait-- currently around 14 weeks for Form 4 approval to come back from the Feds.

On the other hand, the MSAR STG-556 rail is $1643-- and any 18 year old with a pulse and a clean background can walk out with this rifle the same day in Florida-- provided he has enough money at his disposal. Gosh, what a lucky young man-- ah, to be 18 again, rich... and have an MSAR STG-556... but I digress... Back to the topic at hand!

Financially speaking, the bullpup makes a lot of sense. When we're talking about long range accuracy, it's a no brainer. What about the expensive proprietary mags that the MSAR platform requires, you say? Well sir, they're only about $30 and are as good or better than PMAGs for the AR15, in my opinion. There's also a new E-4 model coming out from MSAR that will utilize standard AR15 mags-- but at a premium price, of course-- several hundred dollars more for the base rifle. With that in mind, the current generation MSAR looks good in my book. Don't forget, the anti-gunners have probably taken note of the overall length of bullpup rifles. So, there's a strong probability that these will be on the chopping block when the next AWB rolls around.

Those are my thoughts. They are not meant to bash the short barrel rifle solution that is the LWRC M6A2. It's a fantastic rifle. If I had the means, I would justify the purchase and hide it from my wife for the rest of my days. Alas, that is not the case. And please don't tell my wife I said that! Too late, I already published it to the website. What's done is done, I guess. I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight. Darn it, there I go again with my stream of consciousness writing style-- and the delete key on my Mac is broken.

That's all for today, my friends. Have a blessed day!
    -- Evan

Feedback Score
    I would love to have an LWRC SBR, but, living in a state where SBRs, AOW, Full Auto, suppressors (mounted) and other good stuff are verboten, my MSAR STG-556 is truly my only 'legal SBR'. To me it is as maneuverable and as handy as my friend's Noveske (from a friendlier neighboring state). Points faster and balances better for me too. As long as I can afford to, legally and financially, bullpups will always have a place in my safe. At about 1500 rounds, my Gen 4 MSAR has been trouble free and shoots as good as my M4's, my old eyes permitting .

Thanks,
    Jess
    Last edited by JessR45; 06-04-09 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If only they would accept AR mags.... what was microtech thinking?
    Last edited by Cameron; 06-04-09 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    If only they would accept AR mags.... what was microtech thinking?
    Maybe they were thinking they are close to releasing their new E4 variant that does accept AR mags

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OnPointFirearms View Post
    [
    An LWRC M6A2 in this exact configuration is $2155.
    That's a lot of money for a gun from a company that's not had a stellar record of late... especially in the AARs from EAG and I think one Magpul Dynamics class.

One could really build something with the LMT 10.5 and get a reliable weapon for much less money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Maybe they were thinking they are close to releasing their new E4 variant that does accept AR mags
    It should have been the A1 variant...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    IMHO I think those who say that an SBR can't reach out and touch have not shot one before. I don't think I can spend money on something that isn't proven yet.
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 06-04-09 at 17:37.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Depends on the shooter. SBRs can certainly make the long shot. If the same finger is squeezing off the rounds, the 16in bull pup should group better, right? That's all I'm trying to say. IMHO means "in my humble opinion", right?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As a civilian who cares about 500 meter shots in a defensive weapon?

If you need to shoot 500-600 meters you bring the right tool to do the job. We have that luxury as civi's. We get to pick which tools we get to use for our CHOSEN applications.

If SBR's were so terrible at range i doubt any of our special forces boys would be using them. Sure, they're not as good but they do the job with the proper loads. Anyone with more experience here can probably/hopefully chime in and shed more light on issues with terminal ballistics and SBR's.

I appreciate the pictures and you taking the time to give us a little more info about the product but this read as more of a sales pitch than a down and dirty review/overview.

Im not even sold on the bullpup concept let alone Microtech. To me it seems as though you sacrifice ALOT of modularity and adaptability for a longer barrel that may or may not be necessary.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    It should have been the A1 variant...
    You do have the freedom to start your gun company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast