Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpul ASAP and Magpul MS2. Questions.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)

Magpul ASAP and Magpul MS2. Questions.

I just picked up the Magpul ASAP and the MS2... I gotta say I was slightly surprised by the quality of the ASAP though. It appears to be all MIM (metal injection molded).

Has anyone has one of these break on them yet?

I've broken/cracked MIM parts before. Hell the hammer broke off my Kimber once. I'm a tad worried about slinging $3k worth of AR on this thing while running.

Then my second concern is the sling. Ummm it well, sure is a quick detach sling isn't it. You yank on that little cord and the gun drops right off to the floor. I'm worried about it catching on my gear when I'm running and gunning with my pistol (I shoot 2 gun matches).

Anyone had any issues with there MS2 coming undone?

I know Magpul makes good stuff but I was just a little surprised to see the sling point attachment is MIM more then anything and I'm worried about the sling coming open too a little bit.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Roadblock; 05-10-10 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don’t have anything I can say about the ASAP plates durability because I have not broken one nor do I have firsthand knowledge of one breaking.

As far as the quick release sling issue, I agree with you that is seems too easy to release. I took the little string off immediately, and I don’t really worry about something pulling on the ring. It seemed to me that the string interfered with my safety as well.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    I thought about taking the string off but then it defeats the purpose of having a QD sling. I actually want to be able to take the rifle off the sling I just, well I'm used to those clips that are like 2 half circles that over lap and you have to depress the button a ways to get them off. You know, sorta like a claw clip thingy... Here like this clip in the middle:

Guess I'll just try it, if I dump my gun, I'll figure something else out.
    Last edited by Roadblock; 05-10-10 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    According to Magpul's website the ASAP is cast, not MIM.

http://store.magpul.com/product/mag500/100

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    Sometimes when I am running on the treadmill I will use various gear (IE backpacks, tac vests, etc) for added weight and to see how they move around while running. I've also done this with my AR. I've got a MS2 and ASAP plate and have had no problems while running. Moving around with it, at least for me, has caused no problems with the QD or any of the other components.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    it is cast, and both the asap and clasp are rated for a few hundred pounds. i took my work m-4 (which is about 12 lbs) and swung and flung it around pretty violently from a rooftop to show my buddies how well it worked. no worries mate, you can't break it doing anything you would survive.

Feedback Score
    It'll be fine.

I still want to know what the MS3 is supposed to be. I'll probably buy it. O_o
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I dont think you have anything to worry about with the slings hardware.

My only suggestion is to use 100mph tape around all of the points where the sling threads through to keep the sling from coming undone on it's own over time. It happened to me during a CSAT rifle class last year. Plop! Right on the ground I taped it up and haven't had a problem since.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i beat the crap out of my sling and mount just about every few weeks during training. hasn't broken yet. i have had it for just about a year now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    I dont think you have anything to worry about with the slings hardware.

My only suggestion is to use 100mph tape around all of the points where the sling threads through to keep the sling from coming undone on it's own over time. It happened to me during a CSAT rifle class last year. Plop! Right on the ground I taped it up and haven't had a problem since.
    I understand what you're saying, but I'd have a hard time dropping coin on a sling that I'll have to tape up for security. Kind of defeats the purpose, no? Something is failing on the sling if you have to tape it up.
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast