Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE<>Need some help on Gov't .45s.................

Feedback Score

UPDATE<>Need some help on Gov't .45s.................

Ok....... This is what I'm doing or at least trying to do.

I want to find a GI parts kit (preferably Colt) that I can put on my SA frame.
    I am open to other manufacturers though.

Basically I want to turn my SA loaded into a GI model without having to sell what I have or purchase another pistol.

Do any of you know where I could possibly find these parts?

I can't afford to buy another pistol at this time and ya'll know that trading in a pistol is a ripoff. This pistol has less than 50 rounds through it but that's another whole story itself.
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostRider View Post
    Ok....... This is what I'm doing or at least trying to do.

I want to find a GI parts kit (preferably Colt) that I can put on my SA frame.
    I am open to other manufacturers though.

Basically I want to turn my SA loaded into a GI model without having to sell what I have or purchase another pistol.

Do any of you know where I could possibly find these parts?

I can't afford to buy another pistol at this time and ya'll know that trading in a pistol is a ripoff. This pistol has less than 50 rounds through it but that's another whole story itself.
    I don't know of anyone who sells a "kit" with all GI style parts. With a list and some time at Brownell's website you can probably find all the parts you would need.

If I understand what you are going for it would seem to me that you would need:

1. GI style spur hammer & hammer strut
    2. GI style thumb safety
    3. GI style grip safety
    4. GI style short trigger
    5. GI style recoil spring
    6. GI style recoil spring plug
    7. GI style guide rod

You could buy all of that from Brownells. You might also want to talk to some of the 1911 smiths that hang out here and see if they have some of those parts laying around from guns they've done custom work on. They might be willing to part with them for a reasonable price.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah what John Wayne said. Brownell's ahould also have an rche dMSH if you are thinking of changing that out while you're at it. Doing that would go toawrds the oringinal GI style, remove the ILS system, and while you're at it you could swap the Mainspring for a 20# reducing the trigger pull weight some. If you do swap the MSH make sure to get a new cap and mainspring cap retaining pin as the ILS system uses a different style cap and no pin.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the replies guys.
    This pistol pre-dates the ILS. No "MIM" parts in this springer.
    What I'd really like is a SA GI upper assembly, GI hammer and GI grip safety.
    I've already swapped out the full length guide rod for a standard plug setup as I don't like needing tools for a field strip.
    I'd probably leave the adj. trigger and just swap out the existing parts.

Thanks again,
    TGR
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Don G. Guest
    Content deleted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    You know, you could sell the SA Loaded on gunbroker.com and then buy a SA GI....or Colt Series 70 (for a few extra bucks and get a gun that will appreciate in value over time). Just a thought....
    That's what I'd do, if you really want GI.
    GEAUX TIGERS!!!! National Champs once again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I have an 1980's built SA GI that I'd like to turn into a Loaded. I would be interested in parts swaps or purchases whatever floats your boat. I do not post much on here but I'm on LF and a few other boards.. I'm sure some folks here could speak well of me. Let me know if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    I actually took care of the problem yesterday evening........

Instead of messin with my springer I went a bought a RIA GI that has the grayish green duracoat. I'm going to shoot the shit out of it and see what happens.

Pesty,
    I'm still interested in finding a GI upper assembly (complete top half), GI hammer w/strut and pin and a GI grip safety. At this point I don't want to sell my parts yet.

If you should choose to sell your parts let me know. I will keep your idea in mind.

Here's something for you pistol guys to make a note of...
    Springfield Armory firing pin in the Loaded model is smaller in Diameter than a mil-spec firing pin!

I decided to tear down both of my .45s and see just how compatible they really are.

Well, I'm happy to report that the two pistols parts are indeed interchangeable with the exception of the firing pins.
    This of course had me somewhat stumped at first. I'd never really paid much attention to the FP in the springer to even notice its size.
    The RIAs FP is the MIL-SPEC size.
    I never knew that SA used the .38 super FP in the .45 slide.
    I guess I've been out of the loop for a little too long. It's time for me to re-acquaint myself to my 1st love........ Ol' Slabsides.

I crossed slides as well as the small parts.
    The SA slide went on the RIA frame without any problems. I dare say the two made a good combo and I would not be afraid to crankout some hardball with the combo.

The RIA slide fit the SA frame but it was a tight fit. I noticed that once the slide went on it actually slide back and forth very smoothly. I think that with a little lapping compound they also would be a great match as well.

The barrels both crossed easily as well as did all internal components.

The RIA barrel has nice lands and grooves and it locks up well in the slide. Hopefully I'll get to "heat r up" this weekend.

Obviously the idea here was to see what parts were compatible for the interest of science, but I must say that I'm impressed with the machining work and attention to detail on the RIA.
    For a $350.00 pistol it's pretty good.

How does it compare to the Springer?.....
    There's an obvious difference in the quality between the two. But to compare the two examples that I have really wouldn't be fair.

RIA VS 1000 dollar Custom Shop springer..... ain't a fair fight.

Feedback Score
    Ghost I'd be willing to bet you would find most 1911's are not built to the same specs as JB started out with. Springfield does their grip safety a different size than most othres and you only have a couple choices *without welding* if you want to fit a different on on your pistol.

I'm thinking about sending the slide out to get sights installed and a new barrel fit. If I go another route and end up selling the slide I will give you first crack. I'd be willing to swap out or sell the following GI parts.

Thumb Safety, grip safety, hammer (no strut but pin included), trigger, barrel (no link), bushing, magazine release and Arched MSH (complete). Let me know if your interested. Pistol has a less than 50 rounds and was built in 88 in the US.

S/F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast