Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown Special Forces vs Wilson Combat CQB vs Yost-Bonitz 1* Springfield Armory GI

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trio
    Nope, I believe you, again I am not trying to be combative...i think what you are doing is really cool...

I know the "extras" on the yobos can add up...

I guess the thing that separated the semi-custom guns from the yobo for me was that I could take any number of characteristics I liked from those guns and combine them into a yost bonitz...

to use your example...I could take everything that the wilson scored a 3 for, and everything the ed brown scored a 3 for, and put them in one yost bonitz....
    But then it would cost considerably more and you still have the same basic pistol as the WC or EB or NHC or.....

Man, I don't know. After seeing the detailed photos and reading these posts I think I have lost a lot of faith in the Yost 1*. Seems to me they take a basic pistol and throw some parts at it. I guess I had my hopes up that even the base 1* was gonna be head and shoulders above the "semi-customs". I was expecting a lot more for the money when I began to research the 1*. I'm sure they are good pistols but after reading the review from Rob I am a lot more interested in the Ed Brown than I was.

I would like to see a future comparison with the RRA if Rob ends up getting one. Good job Rob, I'm waiting for the next segment
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172
    Good job Rob, I'm waiting for the next segment
    Thank you, and me too! I'm off tonight to shoot the Wilson in a low-light match so it'll be tomorrow before I get another installment.

This whole process has been rather informative to me as well, as I'm writing it as I go, and using the pictures I took to help me to come to conclusions about the pistols. I know which one I prefer of the three, but I'll be interested to see if it "wins" in the scoring.

Feedback Score
    I got to check out a Brown Special Forces today, and it felt like the action was rolling on microscopic teflon ball bearings, lol. Also, the overall fitment of the parts was hard to believe. I was going to send off my Colt to be Yobo'ed, but I think that I couldn't ask for more than what the Brown has to offer. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Rob, how's the reliability? Anyone want to buy a Colt for cheap???
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    The Yost is the "grittiest" feeling of the three. I do not believe that much was done as a part of the 1* package to address the slide-to-frame fit, and it feels in the way that the slide moves back and forth. It doesn't bind, but it's not exactly smooth either.
    Unless you order the 1* Elite package, they do not do any frame fitting. You also have to remember that the gun was built up using a SA GI frame and slide, not on oversize frame and slide like the Bown or CQB. My old Yost and my Les Baer were totally different in feel. I think it would be more fair to compare the frame fit between the CQB and the Ed Brown.

I do know what you mean though when you say your Brown is super smooth. That is how my Les Baer feels. Granted it was so damn tight I could barely rack the slide when I got it - now it seems to be on ball bearings.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    Unless you order the 1* Elite package, they do not do any frame fitting. You also have to remember that the gun was built up using a SA GI frame and slide, not on oversize frame and slide like the Bown or CQB. My old Yost and my Les Baer were totally different in feel. I think it would be more fair to compare the frame fit between the CQB and the Ed Brown.

I do know what you mean though when you say your Brown is super smooth. That is how my Les Baer feels. Granted it was so damn tight I could barely rack the slide when I got it - now it seems to be on ball bearings.
    I would disagree with you and agree with Rob on this. They are all $1800ish pistols and should be compared on an even playing field. The Elite is more expensive and would be compared to more expensive EB's and WC's.

For the amount of money they charge for the 1* (base) package there should be more hand fitting done to the frame/slide.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    bullit has it spot on. The issue here is what's available at a certain actual street price and how they stack up against each other. Nobody is giving out A's for effort or rewarding someone for starting down a tougher path. Yes, Y-B could have built the gun on a different frame and slide, but that would cost more than $1800 in almost every case.

I wanted, and still want, the best 1911 I can get for $1800; real world price. I don't know if one of these three is it or not, but I think that in comparing these three the photos speak for themselves in many cases. Hopefully in doing this photo-comparison and adding to it as time goes on, I can help other people make their own decisions about what is best for them.

I'm hoping to be able to sell-off the two "losers" in this comparison and pick up a couple examples from other manufactuers to add to it. RRA and Nighthawk being tops on my list of desired guns to work in here. I'm not sure that Nighthawk has anything that I can scrounge up for $1800 though.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    bullit has it spot on. The issue here is what's available at a certain actual street price and how they stack up against each other. Nobody is giving out A's for effort or rewarding someone for starting down a tougher path. Yes, Y-B could have built the gun on a different frame and slide, but that would cost more than $1800 in almost every case.

I wanted, and still want, the best 1911 I can get for $1800; real world price. I don't know if one of these three is it or not, but I think that in comparing these three the photos speak for themselves in many cases. Hopefully in doing this photo-comparison and adding to it as time goes on, I can help other people make their own decisions about what is best for them.

I'm hoping to be able to sell-off the two "losers" in this comparison and pick up a couple examples from other manufactuers to add to it. RRA and Nighthawk being tops on my list of desired guns to work in here. I'm not sure that Nighthawk has anything that I can scrounge up for $1800 though.
    NHC has been creeping up in price. When I bought the Talon I used to own, the Enforcer was comparable to a CQB but the street price was in the $1500 range. Now, the GRP (Enforcer replacement) goes for just over $2000 - minus the rail, laser grips etc that are available. I think that if you can find a RRA, they might be one of the better guns available in the price range. I would also consider the LB TRS as the best bang for the buck as well

As always, waiting for more.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a big Nighthawk fan, but the price is getting outrageous. They have crept up $500 in some cases, and I see the attention to detail slipping from the original guns (2 of my shooting partners own NH00026 and NH00057, I had NH00135) to some of the new ones folks have been bringing around. I hope they don't turn into another Wilson Combat.

I'd keep the YoBo, if for no other reason than where it came from.. You could always have the frame/slide fit tightened.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru
    I'm a big Nighthawk fan, but the price is getting outrageous. They have crept up $500 in some cases, and I see the attention to detail slipping from the original guns (2 of my shooting partners own NH00026 and NH00057, I had NH00135) to some of the new ones folks have been bringing around. I hope they don't turn into another Wilson Combat.

I'd keep the YoBo, if for no other reason than where it came from.. You could always have the frame/slide fit tightened.

I'm not seeing the point? Wilson makes a great 1911 with stellar customer service. So does Nighthawk so I guess I am missing something. I see no reason to keep the inferior 1911 (if that is the final verdict) because it says "Yost" on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen some piss-poor Wilsons. Two co-workers sent 1911s to Wilson to have them customized. The end result was apalling, it looked like some community-college gunsmithing students first project. Nasty checkering, nasty Armor-tuff coating, and they left in some of the stock parts that were paid to be replaced. On one of them, a Springfield 9mm, they didn't weld up the frame tangs, put on a grip safety, and left the gap. 1 gun was sold, the other headed to EGW for repair of the repairs . FWIW, their production guns seem to have made a turn for the better, they had some rough times for a couple of years. There is a reason Nighthawk even exists.

A few days ago at the range, a teamate brings his shiney-new Scattergun 870 out, lets the first round fly....and right along with the round goes the rear ghost ring rear site. Not confidence inspiring. I'll pass on everything Wilson except mags. Spend your money where you wish.

I'd keep the Yost gun because on day there won't be any more Yost guns and it will be a good one for the collection, not so much based on the merits of it's performance. It's at least AS GOOD as any other out there for the price, and I like the fact that it's your custom gun, not an off-the-shelf 1911.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast