Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown Special Forces vs Wilson Combat CQB vs Yost-Bonitz 1* Springfield Armory GI

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shark31 View Post
    Rob,
    Did you have any POI shift when you replaced the rear sight? I've already replaced the EB trigger with the 10-8 and have the sight on the way.
    Not that my sad attempt at pistol-shooting would reveal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Then when he went to shooting the pistol, it didn't work with a variety of mags -- brand new Chip McCormick Powermags, Wilson 47 (7 rounders), Wilson 47D (8 rounders) and new McCormick Powermag mag tubes fitted with Tripp Research springs and metal skirted followers. The problem noted was reliably chambering the last round in each of these mags. Also noted, with either Wilson mag, the slide would not lock back.

Resolution: The problem was corrected after sourcing additional Ed Brown mags which use the Metalform full metal-skirted follower. These can be had in either a removable or welded baseplate design (the author made the point that the gun was equipped with a single mag with a welded baseplate but along the way the welds popped and dumped the guts of the mag during firing).
    Wow! I was considering selling a few guns and buying an Ed Brown Special Forces. However if the gun will only work reliably with one type of 1911 Mag, it is a no-go.

I have seen some 1911s that don't work reliably with one particular brand of magazine, but work fine with several brands. But a 1911 that will only work reliably with one brand? No way, for me, unless that is the only 1911 that you own and the only brand of magazines that you will be buying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Wow! I was considering selling a few guns and buying an Ed Brown Special Forces. However if the gun will only work reliably with one type of 1911 Mag, it is a no-go.

I have seen some 1911s that don't work reliably with one particular brand of magazine, but work fine with several brands. But a 1911 that will only work reliably with one brand? No way, for me, unless that is the only 1911 that you own and the only brand of magazines that you will be buying.
    I would wager that the Tripp 8 Round Gen II Cobra Mag would work. Best spring, tube,and follower that I have ever seen in 30 years. I have shot the rest, and recently tested, and continue to test the Cobra Mag. YMMV

www.trippresearch.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    From the passage I quoted Jmart said that he tried "new McCormick Powermag mag tubes fitted with Tripp Research springs and metal skirted followers." These have the same followers as the Tripp 8 Round Gen II Cobra Mag.

It sounds like the Ed Brown gun in question only worked with Brown mags.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FWIW, I haven't had any problems with mags in my Ed Brown that don't also cause problems in my 1* and my CQB. All of my problem mags have been Wilson 47Ds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    From the passage I quoted Jmart said that he tried "new McCormick Powermag mag tubes fitted with Tripp Research springs and metal skirted followers." These have the same followers as the Tripp 8 Round Gen II Cobra Mag.

It sounds like the Ed Brown gun in question only worked with Brown mags.
    My point being that the Tripp Cobra Mag has a different tube than the McCormick Mag, and hence is a different Mag., and not the Ed Brown Mag. So now you have 2 choices that might work.

Feedback Score
    I had trouble with my 47Ds when I first started shooting my Special Forces. After 200 or so rounds the bearing surface between the slide stop and plunger tube detent smoothed out and the slide now locks back on 47Ds, Colt GI mags, Ed Brown mags, and the new Wilson ETM mags.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As a point of reference, I run Wilson 47D's in an Ed Brown Kobra with no issues.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Where are you at round count wise with the SF and Yost?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's a good question, and frankly I have no idea. I gave up on round counting for any of my guns shortly after I wrote the original posts. I just lost interest in it. I know that some people have a round-count maintenance schedule for their guns but I don't anymore.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast