Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown Special Forces vs Wilson Combat CQB vs Yost-Bonitz 1* Springfield Armory GI

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Magazine Release

Opposite to what happened with my belief in lowered ejection ports (which I did a 180 on), my belief in extended magazine release buttons has been confirmed. The Brown pistol has a standard GI profile button, and I dislike they way that I have to turn the gun in my hand just a little further to reach it. Of the two extended pieces, I find that the bevel of the Yost part is strangely easier to engage than that of the more square Wilson part.

Magazine Release
    Brown 1
    Wilson 2
    Yost 3

Total
    Brown 35
    Wilson 33
    Yost 30

Feedback Score
    Rob,

Are all three of these yours??? If so,,,, WTF!!!

The last time I shot with you, you were ready to trash your 1911 and stick with the combat tupperware..... and now you have three 1911's??

I have always had a hard time reconciling a $1800 production 1911 when my Kimber has performed flawlessly ( and it was only $800). That being said, I have always lusted over a complete custom pistol like a Vickers or a Yam but could not see myself spending that kind of money.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batt 57
    I have always had a hard time reconciling a $1800 production 1911 when my Kimber has performed flawlessly ( and it was only $800). That being said, I have always lusted over a complete custom pistol like a Vickers or a Yam but could not see myself spending that kind of money.
    I think that guns like the Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, Baer, etc. fill a good niche in between the $3k+ true custom and the $500-$1k Kimber or Springfield. While they are production guns, they are higher end production guns and I believe there is a greater attention to detail with them. Anytime you want to shoot any of these just let me know.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Oh yeah, and yes they're all mine. Although when we get to the end of this review, at least one of them might not be mine for long.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    Oh yeah, and yes they're all mine. Although when we get to the end of this review, at least one of them might not be mine for long.
    Don't worry, that Yost should sell pretty easy
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not for nothing,

and I understand that these comparisons are your own subjective comparison, and i appreciate what you are doing......

but some of these things arent comparing apples to apples...

for example, the wilson and ed brown were both close to 2000 bucks (new at least)...whereas the yost is 1575 (per their website)....for an extra $255 you could have had a Kart NM barrel and bushing on the yobo...

this extra cost would have still brought the gun in cheaper than the other 2, and would have likely given it a better barrel than both....

just food for thought....

Feedback Score
    Instead of doing all this, knock off work & come meet us down at the Hmstd range this morning. Bring the 3 pistols and we'll do a bunch of drills with each. Call me if you're heading down.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trio
    Not for nothing,

and I understand that these comparisons are your own subjective comparison, and i appreciate what you are doing......

but some of these things arent comparing apples to apples...

for example, the wilson and ed brown were both close to 2000 bucks (new at least)...whereas the yost is 1575 (per their website)....for an extra $255 you could have had a Kart NM barrel and bushing on the yobo...

this extra cost would have still brought the gun in cheaper than the other 2, and would have likely given it a better barrel than both....

just food for thought....
    Actually, no. I paid $1800 for the Brown NIB, Wilson CQBs can be had for $1800 NIB, and the Y-B gun as it sits in these pictures cost me $1800. I'll try to photograph the build sheet for the Y-B if you don't believe me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nope, I believe you, again I am not trying to be combative...i think what you are doing is really cool...

I know the "extras" on the yobos can add up...

I guess the thing that separated the semi-custom guns from the yobo for me was that I could take any number of characteristics I liked from those guns and combine them into a yost bonitz...

to use your example...I could take everything that the wilson scored a 3 for, and everything the ed brown scored a 3 for, and put them in one yost bonitz....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trio
    Nope, I believe you, again I am not trying to be combative...i think what you are doing is really cool...

I know the "extras" on the yobos can add up...

I guess the thing that separated the semi-custom guns from the yobo for me was that I could take any number of characteristics I liked from those guns and combine them into a yost bonitz...

to use your example...I could take everything that the wilson scored a 3 for, and everything the ed brown scored a 3 for, and put them in one yost bonitz....
    Remind me to revisit this when I'm done with this monster. I don't want to reply until I'm done, but I do want to reply.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast