Thread: Should I even bother?

Feedback Score

Should I even bother?

I am from Cumberland County, NC. I've read that it is a pain in the ass to get the CLEO to sign off on a Class 3. Should I even bother? or should I just save my money?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    might as well give it a shot, or set up a corporation or trust and do it yourself

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    might as well give it a shot, or set up a corporation or trust and do it yourself
    the state of NC doesn't recognize revocable trust..... if I set up an LLC I need to have an FFL.. which I don't have :-(

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by veegunslinger View Post
    the state of NC doesn't recognize revocable trust..... if I set up an LLC I need to have an FFL.. which I don't have :-(
    what about a corp?

Feedback Score
    It doesn't just have to be the county Sheriff that signs off. It can be a local chief of police (if you have one), and there's a whole list of others I found at another NFA website:

Chief of Police (if you reside inside city limits).
    District Attorney.
    State Attorney General.
    Chief of State Police and/or Chief of State/Highway Patrol (some states have both)
    Head of Department of Public Safety.
    District Court Judges.
    County Judge (no traffic court or municipal judges though)
    Head of local Highway Patrol office.
    Head of local Federal Law Enforcement Agencies (don't bother).
    U. S. Attorney (don't bother).

Here is what the reg (27 CFR sec. 179.85) says:

A certificate of
    the local chief of police, sheriff of the
    county, head of the State police, State
    or local district attorney or prosecutor,
    or such other person whose certificate
    may in a particular case be acceptable
    to the Director.

At any rate, there are lots of people that may sign if you don't have any luck with the Sheriff.

In my opinion, it is well worth it. If you at all like black rifles, then SBRs, Machineguns, and Silencers all have an appeal that defies words.

HTH

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Info.

Definately try. I live in NC and except for certain counties, it probably is no prob. If you're really interested, send me a private message and I'll give you the advice I got and how I went about it. It just takes the right approach.

Feedback Score
    Who says? I think a lot of people would be VERY surprised to hear that. There are lots of RLT-owned items in the state.

Feedback Score
    I live in NC, and I know the local CLEO personally, and he's more than happy to do up class 3 papers.
    Last edited by Garrasa; 05-17-09 at 17:16.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    Who says? I think a lot of people would be VERY surprised to hear that. There are lots of RLT-owned items in the state.
    http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/ncnfada/

Feedback Score
    Those guys aren't highly respected, to be honest. You ask them to cite specific things and they won't answer you. Notice they say to go get a CLEO signoff. Show me ANYWHERE in the general statute, outside of a machine gun, where it says anything about a signature. It doesn't. So how is getting a signature better than not? It isn't. There are a lot of dealers out there doing transfers to trusts. If it wasn't legal the AG's office could go after them but don't.