Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Considerations

Feedback Score

Tactical Considerations

Ok, heres the deal, now I want some opinions on Barrel length. Ive been to combat with my standard Gov. M4, it was sufficiant for accuracy and CQ, Obviously i want something with a little more power, but with the ability to reach out and touch someone. Im thinking 16 or 18", what do you all think. I want an overall good combat rifle, but the accuracy for consistent shots out to 800. (for my own reasons, 1000 is kind of excessive, if we want to talk tactics we can open a new thread) any personal opinions? Experience? Im glad to find a forum with such diverse knowledge. Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    I'd go with a scoped M1A with 7.62 NATO match ammo. Get the scope zeroed to your ammo and eyesight and you should be able to hit at 800 yards with annoying regularity. Especially if the scope is like a 10 X 40 power model.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    long range (past 500 yards) is not really the domain of 5.56. If you want to shoot long-range, why not look into dedicated long-range/benchrest cartridges such as the 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor?

At least, that's what I would do.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You might want to try one of the .308 AR platform rifles by DPMS.

Feedback Score
    If you're looking for an all around rifle I'd say 16"-18" is perfect. I'd also stick to .308 in a standard field rifle unless/until the 6.5 Grendel becomes the world standard with a high degree of availability. This is unlikely to happen...

If you're shooting out past 600yds the vast majority of your time then you're looking for a specialized DMR type rifle and I'd definately put together something based on the 6.5G.

In the end, it's a personal decision with so many factors to consider that no amount of banter in the forums can solve adequately. My person field rifle is a M1a SOCOMII. A very versatile platform in a standard caliber. Thats my .02 anyway.

Byte

Feedback Score
    Do some serious research on the 6.5 Grendel. That round has some amazing accuracy, long range and good penetration for dropping bad guys or feral game.

Feedback Score
    I guess I'm beating the dead horse here. Yeah I agree 5.56 is not inteded for that sort of range. Sure you can engage that far if you have too but there are other rounds far more suited for that distance. I also think that the 7.62 would be the best way to go based solely on availablity of the round.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agrer with the others, if you want accuracy and lethality out to 800-meters, the 5.5.6 round isn't the best choice. From what I understand, even with the 77-grain OTM (ie: Mk262) the maximum effective range is 600-meters out of an 18-inch barrel.

That being said, I have a 1/9-twist Varminter that has a 24-inch barrel that has proven to be accurate out to 926-yards using 75-grain BH ammo. FWIW.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score

FN

No one has mentioned it but I believe the 7.62 FAL deserves mention here. DSA will build you a nice 18" barreled battle rifle. Magazines are cheap and accessories ( railed hand guards) are coming out on the market. I also own an older SOCOM 16 which is a ball to shoot also. I feel quite comfortable with a 20 round magazine of 7.62 rounds, for either rifle, in heavy bear country (brownies & blackies). I know Fulton Armory can build you an 18" barreled M1A that will shoot the no-seeums off the nose of a Moose at 800 yards. Go to the range, join a club in your area and let folks know what you are looking for. I think you will find people will beg you to shoot their rifle, go to a couple of NRA High Power shoots in your area, there should be some M1A's out there.

Good luck and thanks Beagle, for getting shot at, for making things right and giving people hope... you know what I mean, thanks.
    Last edited by hahagobangbang; 08-02-08 at 23:12. Reason: spelling
    GOD BLESS THE GOOD GUYS

Feedback Score

Go with the 18"

Looks as if your primary question was simply what barrell length should you go with.
    I don't believe that the 18" Bbl would be all that detrimental to manuevability for CQ useage, especially since it reads like your really wishing for better long range performance. 2" of Bbl length isn't going to be a real factor either in velocity or accuracy....but if I was looking to build a rifle based upon your specs in your post. I'd go with 18"....scoped appropriatley and choose my ammo carefully.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast