View Poll Results: What should I do with my Converted Colt SP1?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • XM-177 Commando - for investment purposes.

0 0%
  • XM-177 Commando - shoot it anyway.

5 10.00%
  • M-4A1 - shoot the hell out of it!!

33 66.00%
  • Leave as it is - for investment purposes.

1 2.00%
  • Leave as it is - shoot it anyway.

3 6.00%
  • Don't give a crap - quit wasting bandwidth.

9 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my Class III SP1

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Got my Class III SP1

After months of waiting, I finally got to shoot my Transferable Converted Full-Auto SP1. I attached my LWRC 10.5-inch upper on it and did my NFA Committee approval run today. My club allows the use of Class 3 firearms at certain ranges but only after members of the NFA Committee run you through the checklist.

Basically, they are making sure that you have all the NFA-associated paperwork and that you at least know how to manipulate your firearm. They also check to make sure that you can handle said firearm on full-auto by first having you fire a 3 to 5-round burst. If you are able to keep the first burst into the berm (at about 10-yards) they then have you shoot a full magazine's worth. If you do not place a round outside the berm then you are now approved to shoot your NFA item at the club.

So now, I am trying to figure out if I should keep this gun "original" (I already installed and ambi safety lever and a KNS "captured" Sear pin). I was thinking of "dressing" it up either into a Vietnam-era XM-177/CAR-15 'Commando' or into a more modern M-4A1 variant. NOTE: It is already in carbine configuration.

If I choose the Vietnam-era XM-177 'Commando' I cannot use this rifle in Carbine classes (like I would like to). But at the same time, if I go the modern M-4A1 direction, I will shoot the crap out of it and probably paint it (I already have a Ceiner M-16 .22LR Conversion kit and about a dozen Black Dog 15-round magazines).

My original purpose for buying this rifle was as an investment. But now that I've played with it, I'm starting to think otherwise.

What do you guys think?
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

nice purchase, carlos.

what did it set you back? transferable M16 receivers are running north of $15K in my neck of the woods.

as far as the receiver goes, shoot the f*ck out of it (if you can afford to feed it).

i'm not terribly big on firing RIFLES on full-auto, although I have some subguns to keep things interesting.

for me, the utility in having the full-auto lower is basically being able to put whatever length upper you want on it, and for shits and giggles (collector value).
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Put it in the configuration that is most practical for you to use in the exceptionally unlikely event that you ever need it. Pray that you won't. Shoot the piss out of it and SMILE everytime you look at it.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Carlos,

You shoot at Metacon in CT?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    Carlos,

You shoot at Metacon in CT?
    Negative. I live in Central VA.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Shoot the hell out of it. I picked up a NIB M16A1 carbine last year and I dropped a 416 upper on it and have been blasting as much as my ammo supply allows. But then again, I am not a collector/conservationist by nature--I like to shoot my toys.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Plus, it will always be worth a lot of money. There is ZERO chance that the NFA will be repealed and no real chance of the 86 ban being repealaed. Just put the upper and furniture in storage (that is what I did). So, theoretically I can just repark the lower later if I need to "restore it" which I wont.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Black Creek range?

<---- Richmond area

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well I for one would keep it and shoot the shit out of it as much as funds would allow me to.

As for how to dress it up, I would go the modern route just because you said you'd like to use it for carbine classes. I personally think it would be more fun making it into a modern-day, high-speed M4 as opposed to a plain-jane (yawn) Vietnam-era "commando." (Unless of course if it will primarily be just more of a "collector's item" and not be fired all that often, which, lets face it, probably will NOT be the case now that you've had some full-auto trigger time with her.)

I cannot afford a F/A lower as of right now in my life, so..... SHOOT IT FOR ME, MAN!!! Buy yourself a couple Beta C mags and let loose some hell on some paper baddies with extreme prejudice

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
    Black Creek range?

<---- Richmond area
    Actually, Charlottesville.

I do plan on doing a 100-round burst sometime. I'll try to video it and post it here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast