Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal Nyclad .38Spl.

Feedback Score
    Unless there have been changes to the Nyclad bullet you should take a look at Corbon DPX and the Speer Gold Dot load.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I recall not being impressed with this load, can't remember why now.

When you recall some factual information please feel free to add it to this discussion.
    Last edited by Lumpy196; 09-08-09 at 14:24.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennvol12345 View Post
    Unless there have been changes to the Nyclad bullet you should take a look at Corbon DPX and the Speer Gold Dot load.

OK, why?
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "When you recall some factual information please feel free to add it to this discussion."

Well, OK then, no need to be pompous.

Having looked up some old notes on testing we did here, the load in bare gelatin penetrates 8-9", consistently failed to expand through heavy clothing, this from a S&W 642

This would be why I wasn't impressed, memory was a bit rusty on numbers, but I recall things being as Gomez posted. I have no idea why this loading has achieved such cult status.

Demonstrated superior performance in testing would likely be why the other loads were suggested by tenvol, but I'm sure he can speak for himself.

This is also likely why Doc Roberts makes the broad brush statement in his post on BUG ammo;

With few exceptions, such as the Speer 135 gr +P JHP and Barnes XPB, the vast majority of .38 Sp JHP's fail to expand when fired from 2" barrels in the 4 layer denim test. Many of the lighter JHP's demonstrate overexpansion and insufficient penetration in bare gel testing. Also, the harsher recoil of the +P loads in lightweight J-frames tends to minimize practice efforts and decrease accuracy for many officers. The 158 gr +P LSWCHP offers adequate penetration, however in a 2" revolver the 158gr +P LSWCHP does not reliably expand. If it fails to expand, it will produce less wound trauma than a WC. Target wadcutters offer good penetration, cut tissue efficiently, and have relatively mild recoil. With wadcutters harder alloys and sharper leading edges are the way to go. Wadcutters perform exactly the same in both bare and 4 layer denim covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame. For example, the Win 148 gr LWC: VEL = 657 f/s, PEN = 20"+, RD = 0.36", RL = 0.64", RW = 147.4 gr

On the Firearms Tactical site I found this testing from a 3" model 13, FBI testing;

Test Gun S&W M13 Barrel Length 3" Velocity 897 fps

Bare Gelatin Clothed Gelatin
    Penetration Expansion Penetration Expansion

10.85" 0.60" 14.55" 0.45"

OK performance, but not great, and there are certainly better loads available.
    Last edited by tpd223; 09-08-09 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    Probably because the original 125 gr Nyclad overexpanded and suffered insufficient penetration in bare gel, tended to plug-up against heavy clothing and not expand, and broke apart against auto windshields...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 09-08-09 at 14:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12